Rouen Duck thread

I may be duck dumb....lol but if i have male and female will i get a duck egg? Do i have to feed something special?
How soon will they mate? Or are they just good pets???

Attachments

• 20190602_142616.jpg
    20190602_142616.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18
  • 20190620_174958.jpg
    20190620_174958.jpg
    513.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20190618_185915.jpg
    20190618_185915.jpg
    813.6 KB · Views: 17
If you have a female you will get an egg regardless of if you have a male. If you have a male then the egg could be fertile. That's the only difference. Females don't need males to lay eggs. They will anyway.

Once they start laying be sure to put out some oyster shell becuase she will need the extra calcium.

If you have a female you will get an egg regardless of if you have a male. If you have a male then the egg could be fertile. That's the only difference. Females don't need males to lay eggs. They will anyway.

Once they start laying be sure to put out some oyster shell becuase she will need the extra calcium.
How

I take a plastic coke bottle or whatever, cut it in 1/2 and drill holes in the bottom for drainage and then drill a couple more hole near the top and use those holes to wire it right to their fence. They instinciivley know when they need it and will eat from the container. The males don't usually mess with it but I've seen my boy eat from it. Not much though. I think he was just copying what the girls were doing.

I don't have Roens, I've got runners so I don't know how old they will be before the lay. I think my runners started with they were about 6 months old.

I may be duck dumb....lol but if i have male and female will i get a duck egg? Do i have to feed something special?
How soon will they mate? Or are they just good pets???
You're not a dumb dumb - a lot of ppl make the misconception that hens need a male in order to lay an egg.
Think about your own body, you lay an egg once a month regardless if you have a male counterpart or not... the male just helps turn it into a baby - same with ducks/chickens only they lay one daily for awhile. :)

Back
Top Bottom