Rouen Duck thread

Pics
We have our first baby ducks arriving tomorrow. We ordered a male rouen, 2 female rouens and 2 female blue swedish ducks from ideal hatchery. I forgot to tell them to mark the male, so the kids will have to give the rouens gender nuetral names. Brooder is all set up and ready to go :)

quackers

Pato

Duckie
My three rouen babies :) one male and 2 females, but I forgot to have them mark the male for me, so it'll be a while before I can tell who is what.

~~hi y'all. so I noticed this morning a nest in the corner of my coop. the chickens and ducks all sleep together in a big coop. so what does that mean? is she going to stay layin fertile eggs soon? she lays now but the boy hasn't been doing it right he misses a lot lol should I not pick up the eggs now? im new to ducks so I have no clue whats goin on

~~hi y'all. so I noticed this morning a nest in the corner of my coop. the chickens and ducks all sleep together in a big coop. so what does that mean? is she going to stay layin fertile eggs soon? she lays now but the boy hasn't been doing it right he misses a lot lol should I not pick up the eggs now? im new to ducks so I have no clue whats goin on

It really depends they will figure things out whether or not there are eggs around. If you don't want babies at this time i'd remove the eggs until your ready for them. In the case that you are wanting babies than if any of your ducks or chickens are sitting on the nest I'd wait like a week and candle them and see if there is any signs of fertility. Or if you have an incubator available start it up and once it's been running long enough bring in a few eggs and in about a week candle them and see if you can see any signs of fertility. If you really don't feel like waiting and want to know if your drake is being successful there is a way to tell from the yolks of eggs if they are fertile or not. Let me find the link to the thread that has information and pics on this..... ahh here it is. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures. This link will help you in figuring out if the eggs are fertile or not.

that's really interesting and a cool way of finding out i do kinda want babies but i didn't think the weather was right for babies right now.... ive never seen a nest before until now so that's why im askin

that's really interesting and a cool way of finding out i do kinda want babies but i didn't think the weather was right for babies right now.... ive never seen a nest before until now so that's why im askin
I personally am holding off on the hatching this year since it's been such a cold winter and is still freezing. And as much as I love ducklings living in the house I perfer to have warmer weather so they are able to go out sooner. Opposed to having them living in the house for almost 2 months lol

Back
Top Bottom