Rouen Duck thread

Pics
Spoke to soon. Didn't make it out. So still hoping things will make it. Incubator that duck eggs are in has been REALLY all over on temps. Was 108 1 time and down to 95 a few others. Never had issues with it before. Might have cooked 15 eggs though. Was fine until I took out chicken eggs last week to hatch.

Ohh sorry
1f622.png

I hope they hatch soon
1f425.png
1f423.png
1f425.png
1f425.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f425.png
1f425.png
1f425.png
1f423.png
1f425.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f425.png
1f425.png
1f425.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f425.png

Fingers crossed but won't hold my breath. My main focus this year is production chickens. Eggs and birds are going to be where I make any $$ or at least break even. Egg sales now are making a few $ a week on top of feed cost. But they also feeding broilers and chicks so when CX are processed will increase profits. Will try all the eggs in the bator now under they pop, ok maybe not that long, but giving them their time in the sun (Or artificial sauna.) It works great if not, well I knew it was a gamble anyway.

I am getting 6 Rouen ducks the week of Memorial Day. I am so excited, but nervous because I am a first time duck owner. Any advice would we great!

Ducks or ducklings?

Get the book "Storeys Guide to raising ducks". That will give you lots of information.
Also would advice to get non-flush/no fast acting Niacin and mix 100mg/1gal water to give them the first 4-6 weeks. It strengthens them and prevents a niacin deficiency which could cripple and sometimes even kill your little guys.
Also, LOTS of bedding, a watered they can dip their heads in (for nostril cleaning) and lots of handling a and cuddle time! Be prepared for the poopy mess they create. Lol.

I did buy that book and read it all. I think I am over thinking everything. No niacin or brewers yeast the first 2 weeks? I am going to go to a few local feed stores and hopefully one has some duck starter so i dont have to worry about using supplements. do they need any other vitamin supplemets besides the niacin? Also probably a silly question but do you mix the grit with the food or seperate it?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom