Rouen Duck thread

Pics

Here are the proud parents of the newest addition of our farm :) so happy to see the new little one probably only a few more hours and it will have hatched .

Please help someone. My beautiful 11 week old Rouen Drake has a swollen, hot leg. I looked for cuts/abrasions, he doesn't have any . He is eating and drinking ok just won't put any weight on that leg at all. It looks like the swelling might be worse around his "knee". I put ice on it for a few minutes to get swelling down so I could check for fractures. I saw online that you can give them aspirin so I did. Am I missing anything? We had ducks when I was a girl but my mom took care of them. She died last June so I can't call her. Any information appreciated. Don't wanna lose my sweet boy . Thanks.

Obviously keep him off of it . Okay :)

Did he fall from any high places or ( if you have a pond) could something have bit him or gotten him caught for awhile

It could just be a sprain but I would get him a splint and keep him off the leg

If it's a wound that can't be seen try done hydraulic peroxide and it will clean out some bacteria and start healing it . .

I really hope he gets better :)

We do have a spring fed pond (lake size) but our geese and ducks won't go in alone. He has no evidence of any wounds . He is spoiled. Sleeps in tub until the duck pen is finished because my goose is mean to him. We keep them separate at ALL times. Now 4 days ago a mean (not mine!) kid thought it would be fun to help him fly and tossed him off our porch but he seemed to be walking ok after.

My Emmett with his little splint. We got Vera a few weeks after him and they are bonded I think. Vera hasn't left his side all day today. Excuse my messy floor, please. I couldn't sleep last night worrying about Emmett. A bit tired today. Emmett and I cuddled on the couch all night when I wasn't giving him electrolytes. He has stood up a couple times since I splinted his leg but he has been pretty still today.So proud of Vera for not leaving her buddy's side.

Back
Top Bottom