Rouen Duck thread

Also it looks like a mallard not a Rouen

I have pics

Been reading about the differences between Rouens and Mallards. I think I have mallards.

Wondering; the "mallards" in question are almost half the size of my papered cayuga ducks. They are much much quieter than my cayuga ducks. They can also fly pretty well, take off and conduct turns midflight.

Rouens or Mallards?
Tnx

Been reading about the differences between Rouens and Mallards. I think I have mallards.

Wondering; the "mallards" in question are almost half the size of my papered cayuga ducks. They are much much quieter than my cayuga ducks. They can also fly pretty well, take off and conduct turns midflight.

Rouens or Mallards?
Tnx

They're also lighter and quieter than Rouen. Rouen also are too heavy to fly for more than a few feet. You got mallards.

If there is only one black stripe on the eye, it is definitely mallard. With 2 stripes it's a Rouen.

Does anyone else have a graying drake face? What's the deal w that? He's just turned a year old in May
Pete and petunia

Last edited:
i dont know how long a molt takes but molting is when a ducks feathers fall and and new grow in to replace them so they have a new set of feathers

How long does molt take and what exactly happens?
Found this among many others by Googling "Ducks Molting" :

Molting: Putting on a New Feather Coat
Ducks depend on their feathers and old, worn feathers must be replaced. Molting is the process of replacing worn feathers. Ducks molt in the late summer and in the early spring.
During the fall ducks molt synchronously, or lose and replace all of their feathers in a short period of time. Synchronous molting renders ducks flightless during a portion of this time thus at a greater risk to predators until the new feathers come in. Losing and replacing all of one's feathers can take up to two weeks. The new feathers are drab in color and considered a duck's basic plumage. In the early spring just as the breeding season gets underway a partial loss of feathers happens when the male ducks put on their alternate plumage.
Feathers are largely made up of proteins and accounts for almost one-third of all protein in the body. The need for large quantities of high protein food may be one reason that male ducks and unsuccessful nesting hens leave the breeding grounds for special molting grounds far away, thereby reducing competition for limited protein resources.

Last edited:
Hi,
I have 11 rouen ducks. They are about 6 weeks old. I have noticed on a couple of ducks there is blood on their wing. One is really bad. It seems on the skin under the wing. Is this normal when they start to get their feathers. I am new to all this so I spend alot of time on this sight as I also have 32 chicks the same age. I would appreciate any help. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom