Rouen ducks! I need help with temperature and humidity.

rocky871

Chirping
Jun 2, 2020
South Florida
Hi all!

So my shipped Rouen duck eggs came in yesterday. I let them settle and put them in the incubator today. I am having trouble having all my thermometers and hydrometers get calibrated. I have 4 thermometers (plus the one that comes with the still air incubator, but we all know those are not accurate). They ALL read different. They are ranging from 94 to 102 degrees. And same with the hydrometers. I have two in there (plus the one that comes with the incubator) and they range from 30% to 60%. . I have taken them out and laid them side by side on my kitchen counter and there, they read exactly the same. In the incubator, they are only about an egg or two apart, how is there a huge difference in temperature and humidity levels? At some point, they were at 10% I live in South Florida, where it is always humid. Does the 10% makes sense?

I ordered some more thermometers off amazon today, as well as hydrometers. I probably have like five different things coming tomorrow and Friday. Which ones do you guys personally recommend? Also, would it be better if I buy a small fan to put in the incubator? If so, which ones do you all recommend that I can buy off amazon and is pretty affordable?

Thank you all in advance. This is very frustrating.

Hydrometer thermometer s don't read temp well in the bator. I would rely on the bator for temp. I use my hydrometer just for humidity. Like you, I am in South tx, I live in a very humid clime. I have two cheep hydrometer s that I got off Amazon in the bators. I consider them in the neighborhood of right. I also don't get very consumed by them given I live in a very humid climate. Do the best you can and good luck.

Also, my zoo med digital thermometer rests on top of the eggs. It reads between 100-101ish. Then I have the the ThermaPro that is in the middle, on the floor (not on top of an egg) and it reads about 97ish degrees. Is it normal to have a difference like that, from being on top of an egg, to on the floor?

Have you done the humidity calibration test with salt?

The ThermaPro come with the humidity reading, and I don't think those are water proof. As someone else mentioned, should I be that strict about the humidity considering we do live in South Florida? For ducks, what would be the ideal humidity? I'm trying to get it to around 50?

Back
Top Bottom