Rouen lost its mate, how to introduce a duckling?

shannabanana

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2017
St Malo Manitoba
Hey guys, I had two 8-10 week old rouens who were little soulmates. Today one of them was brutally killed by something, maybe a bird? Its head was gone and body hollowed out and empty except for intestines. Horrible. So the remaining duck was of course heartbroken. I cried along with him for a while :( but I called the farm I got them from and she kindly sent me another. Problem is her hubby made a mistake and sent a baby. So I was thinking of crating them together tonight and watch closely to make sure they're nice? I don't want to keep the baby alone, what should I do?

Hey guys, I had two 8-10 week old rouens who were little soulmates. Today one of them was brutally killed by something, maybe a bird? Its head was gone and body hollowed out and empty except for intestines. Horrible. So the remaining duck was of course heartbroken. I cried along with him for a while :( but I called the farm I got them from and she kindly sent me another. Problem is her hubby made a mistake and sent a baby. So I was thinking of crating them together tonight and watch closely to make sure they're nice? I don't want to keep the baby alone, what should I do?

Can you return the baby and get another the same age as your current ?
Thats too big if an age difference to leave together. The bigger one will almost certainly hurt the baby.
If not on purpose by accident.
You will have to keep them seperate untill the baby is similar in size or at least 3-4 weeks old .
For now if you keep it. You could set up a brooder so they can see each other.
The other thing is the baby will need brooder/ heat lamp.
And your bigger duck is too big for a heat lamp

Well she didn't say how old because she wasn't expecting me to get a small one but he's about the size of my two hands cupped. So older than a hatchling but say maybe a couple of weeks old?

Thanks for your replies! I let the teenage and baby rouens meet and cuddle in my "hospital kennel" for a night, but after reading your posts I split them again. The teen seemed mostly indifferent and the babe snuggled into him and they were okay but didn't seem to care much. I put the teen back in my duck run and he has joined the ranks of my Indian Runners and seems just fine now. The little one has really bonded with my four other chicks and they love to chit chan and huddle and such. I just make sure to feed them unmedicated food now. All is well!

Glad all is working out well
1f642.png

Back
Top Bottom