Rouen questions

ducklover87

Songster
7 Years
Aug 7, 2012
Id like to say I'm a little surprised their is no Rouen thread like most every other breed. But anyway I have a few questions I got my ducks sexed 1 male 2 females they all look the same and are almost 7 weeks old. I'd have pictures but with 15 ducklings running around its hard to get pics of certain ones. Anyway someone today told me it looks like I had all hens which is weird because they aren't old enough to have molted. Also all my rouens have a greenish color on the top of heir heads which I've read that that means its a male :/. I'm I right in saying its till too early to know? And from their voices I know for sure I have at least one hen maybe two but not sure(again the 15 duckling thing makes it hard lol). Any help would be great :)

Your certainly welcome to start one!

Sorry i don't know much about that breed, usually isn't it voice and/or feathering, like a drake feather?

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'd be a good choice as this is my first time with the breed lol that's what I thought too was voice and the drake feather.

Everyone was once a 'first time with that breed' Having a thread would be a base so others can share, we all have worthwhile things to contribute, regardless i am always learning no matter how many i have or for how long.
wink.png

Last edited:
I agree and it would help with others who have questions specific to the breed. I agree with you 100% there. I'm learning more and more every day.

ya its with the feathering and the voice i have a rouen cross only one but he is pretty
200x200px-ZC-fe28d4ab_100_4978.jpeg
not a very good one but its from the back of him
200x200px-ZC-183aada4_100_4980.jpeg
200x200px-ZC-1ceeef73_100_4981.jpeg
this is him with his new mate tilly she is a saxony .. he is a little down that day his first mate was just killed by a fox ... he is a little older now

ya its with the feathering and the voice i have a rouen cross only one but he is pretty
200x200px-ZC-fe28d4ab_100_4978.jpeg
not a very good one but its from the back of him
200x200px-ZC-183aada4_100_4980.jpeg
200x200px-ZC-1ceeef73_100_4981.jpeg
this is him with his new mate tilly she is a saxony .. he is a little down that day his first mate was just killed by a fox ... he is a little older now

Aren't they cute!

When my rouens were that age they all had a green tint on there heads and i ended up with one drake and two hens. I wpuld go on the voice and drake feather.

Cute duckies! I love the saxonys colors. Thanks steelchair that's what I'm going by. I'm glad they are normal with the green tint on their heads.

I was/am surprised too that there isn't a Rouen thread going. I have 5 Pekins and sure enjoy the Pekin club thread. I have 11 2 1/2 week old Rouens. I'm really wondering what I will end up with as far as males and females. I spent a lot of time with them and there is big differences in them and I am trying to keep track of who becomes what. They are a lot of fun!

Back
Top Bottom