Rough bits on quail eggs

HattiLongSoks

Chirping
Jun 28, 2023
Yorkshire, UK
My Coop
My Coop
Hi everyone, hope you're having fab days wherever you are. We had a lovely bright sunny day in Yorkshire, UK and now the thundery weather again!

Anyway! I've been getting eggs from my quail the past few days which has been lovely. I believe we've got 2 laying.

I did want to ask should I be worried about eggs that aren't completely smooth with rough bits? One had a sandpaper patch at the bottom. Another has bits at the top (first photo, second is just 3 pretty eggs!) is this something I need to worry about?

All the hens seem good and happy. They have enough feed (though I am going to change their food for a better one without seeds mixed in with the pellets as advised by another BYCer), they have grit, they have oyster shell (though I only added that recently since I had to order it) lots of water. Treats like meal worm. Do I need to be concerned?

Attachments

• 20230709_181127.jpg
    20230709_181127.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 20230709_181026.jpg
    20230709_181026.jpg
    616.6 KB · Views: 14
Hi everyone, hope you're having fab days wherever you are. We had a lovely bright sunny day in Yorkshire, UK and now the thundery weather again!

Anyway! I've been getting eggs from my quail the past few days which has been lovely. I believe we've got 2 laying.

I did want to ask should I be worried about eggs that aren't completely smooth with rough bits? One had a sandpaper patch at the bottom. Another has bits at the top (first photo, second is just 3 pretty eggs!) is this something I need to worry about?

All the hens seem good and happy. They have enough feed (though I am going to change their food for a better one without seeds mixed in with the pellets as advised by another BYCer), they have grit, they have oyster shell (though I only added that recently since I had to order it) lots of water. Treats like meal worm. Do I need to be concerned?
This happens to my quail eggs, they always seem completely fine however I don't imagine it feels too good when they're trying to lay eggs like that.

Back
Top Bottom