round roost?? like a pine tree with limbs cut back

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by alibraun, Oct 24, 2013.

1. alibraun

alibraun Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    ohio
    hi, still working on chicken cabin, ladder roost works but takes a lot of space. has anyone have an idea if tree roost in coop would work well??

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Best roosts are 2 x 4's with the chicken sitting on the largest side of them (flat) so that they can keep toes warm in winter.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The chickens would probably use it, but flat roosts are better--when they sit on them, chickens keep their toes warm in cold weather. For my bantams, I use a 2" x 2" piece of wood. My large-fowl can use the same type, but a 2 x 4 also works well with them.

4. alibraun

Oct 19, 2013
    ohio
    I currently use ladder type with round dowels, they had their feet well covered,but if I have any issues I will switch to flat.but the idea we have is a roost pole, like a tree, that's what I curious of.make it so several could b on a limb

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
    4 people like this.
  6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Here's an old shot of mine. I don't have any problems with tree limbs as roosts.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The only concern I'd have with pine is if it is fresh. The resin might cause some problems with them standing in it. If the limb is dead that should not be a problem at all since the resin will have dried up.

7. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    [​IMG]

Tree branches are in fact more natural and possibly superior in the long run. I will be changing mine (once I devise a way to rest them in cups with out spinning). Thank you for the heads up Bear Foot Farm. On second thought I will probably round off a 2x2 and leave the ends square.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    [​IMG]

Mine don't spin. Drill a hole in the roost and the support and put a big nail through. The bigger the limb the bigger the nail.

1 person likes this.
  9. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    I built my run around a tree. My girls roost in it every night. They love it. I've been trying to think of a way to cover my run, but let them keep their tree. Ideas?

10. alibraun

Oct 19, 2013
    ohio
    thank u all for the input on this!! I have no pine trees but was trying to get my point across, kinda hard to describe what he tells me n I envision, have many types of dead falls from storm in June, over 40! elm will b center post with possible hickory,maple,buckeye,oak,etc for limbs. will post pic once its started and finished. now I have dilemma with coop door for girls, he wants one way I want slider n pulley

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by