Round to for miss daisy

Since hormones can cause the melanin pigment spots on bills and Perkins aren’t usually broody; I almost wonder if her bill turning from orange to so dark and her being broody are both because her hormones are much higher than the usual Pekin hen🤔 Either way she is a lovely duck I love the white with the dark bill very unique.
Thank you
That makes sense
She sure is a special duck
Last time I kept a camera on her 24/7 to see how she would do as I read pekin’s are not great at sitting
But she did great the whole time until she got scared of the actual duckling lol
This time I’m not worried as I trust her to sit But will get my camera ready around hatch in case she is scared of the babies

Thank you
That makes sense
She sure is a special duck
Last time I kept a camera on her 24/7 to see how she would do as I read pekin’s are not great at sitting
But she did great the whole time until she got scared of the actual duckling lol
This time I’m not worried as I trust her to sit But will get my camera ready around hatch in case she is scared of the babie
She probably had new mom syndrome. When they first handed me my oldest son at the hospital I no joke looked at the nurse and said “I’m afraid if I hold him I’m going to break him”. I was not nearly as scared to hold my second son😂

She probably had new mom syndrome. When they first handed me my oldest son at the hospital I no joke looked at the nurse and said “I’m afraid if I hold him I’m going to break him”. I was not nearly as scared to hold my second son😂
This is true
I was also scared of my first baby
But after 3 kids now I push the parents out of the way to hold my grandkids (4 of them )

I thought I would share my beautiful girl daisy and her broody journey
She is a pekin who will be 2 in April
The first time she went broody she was younger and newer to laying eggs
Her eggs were to small for babies to grow and get turned properly to
hatch
This was dec of 2021
We had a big travel dog crate and she build her nest in there
Starred with 8 eggs but every now and then she would loose one in the big crate and it would get cold and die
Only 3 made it to hatch and 2 internal pips ( I could hear the babies talking away ) but they were stuck and not able to external and died
This left one egg and she was bruised at the wrong end
I didn’t take any chances as she was out last hope for daisy to have a baby after sitting so good for 30 days. I had to assist hope and this took over 52 hours. Then I went and snuck hope in the nest when daisy was out to drink and she heard a baby and panicked she tried to go after her
So baby hope was brought up to the brooder with her siblings that I had hatched myself ( 4 of the 6 eggs needed assistance as they to were small eggs )
first one died as I helped to much to soon and one died bruising the wrong end and I didn’t know what that meant
Other 2 I helped with help from this group and last 2 both hatched themselves on Xmas day ( the two bigger of all the eggs )
I learned many lessons from my first hatch ever
I no longer incubate any eggs under 70 grams
I also learned how to be patient and help assist and not loose any babies
Since then I have hatched many and helped many get 100 % hatches
Now back to my miss daisy
She has been trying to be broody for over a month abc I keep ruining her fun by collecting eggs
But a few days ago she wasn’t having it and went broody with one egg
I could hear her turning it and when I check it was very warm
She was going broody so I gave in
I added more eggs in to her nest from my other ducks
There was 12 but I noticed one today that has a hood crack so I removed it
Let’s give daisy good vibes on her hatching journey this time around
Much older and wiser :)
She has also learned she loves other ducks
When I first got her she had a sister with
Those two were tied at the hip always
Then I got a new baby and it took over a month once he was bigger to join them
These girls were awful at accepting him in
Then Mia died and daisy and peep only had each other
Till the hatched happened
It took me keeping the ducklings from 3 weeks to 10 in a pen close to mom and dad before they would be able to be out together
Then I hatched many more over the course of the summer. I had lots of babies come and get sold and some more I kept. They started to settle and not pay attention to new ones
I even added 2 8-10 week old Swedish girls right into the yard first day and nobody blinked an eye
They accepted them right away
My flock had grown from 2 to 16
So I’m thinking she maybe more relaxed about ducklings this time around :)
If not I have a brooder and an incubator I can have ready
Want ti add this time she picked a smaller dog crate and can’t loose the eggs as it’s not super big
Ooh I didnt know you had eggs under her again! Bless her! Good luck Daisy!

Ooh I didnt know you had eggs under her again! Bless her! Good luck Daisy!
She really wasn’t giving me much choice
I tried for a month to break her but she was determined to sit
One day she wouldn’t leave the egg she laid that day she was turning it and warming it up
I gave in and set eggs from the other girls under her
She was a happy duck
She did lay an egg the next morning but not In her nest by the water dish and left it so she knew her other eggs were already started and didn’t want to add that one
She hasn’t laid since
I think it’s a combo of she likes to be broody but also she likes breaks from the boys
She is the number one on all their minds and peep is the only one she allows to mate her
I had to bring her inside as the boys wouldn’t leave her alone and her neck was raw with 2 scabs
I treated her with silver spray and medicated ointment
It’s healed nice now
With it winter still I can’t do the drake jail pen as they don’t have the warm duck house so that’s why she is inside
Peep is in to as he has to be able to see her at all times and dasher is in till we get her fungal issues fixed
Avian vet again on Monday and her fungal meds will be here Thursday
Been a roller coaster around here
Although dasher isn’t contagious I have ti throw her eggs away and don’t want to throw away the other 9 girls eggs away not knowing who laid what egg
Easier to keep her in
I do have Daisys marked in case dasher lays in her nest but she likes her own crate

Little update
Daisy is still doing great
She is very committed to her nest but also comes off to eat , drink and quick baths
She is taking care of herself as well as the eggs
Dasher ( her first daughter ) is also in the room with daisy and has been sharing on watch duties
If daisy gets off she will go stand over the eggs
I also caught dasher laying half in the crate and half out last night as they both don’t fit but she wanted to be close to daisy
All 10 eggs are showing signs of life but 4 of them look 2 days behind the other 6
All had heartbeats
Anyone have any ideas on this ?
I’ll post the pictures

Attachments

• 2965E0F2-F07E-4874-BE34-5516747BF495.png
    2965E0F2-F07E-4874-BE34-5516747BF495.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 2599D2BB-A34E-4DFC-9620-AD0109C1330C.png
    2599D2BB-A34E-4DFC-9620-AD0109C1330C.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 27E03D05-A2D3-4565-994A-C7B86A1F0E35.png
    27E03D05-A2D3-4565-994A-C7B86A1F0E35.png
  • ADB996CF-0433-4C4C-B375-F15470ECEDFF.png
    ADB996CF-0433-4C4C-B375-F15470ECEDFF.png
  • 777E92CB-0CA2-4D17-BC43-32C4E96D6084.png
    777E92CB-0CA2-4D17-BC43-32C4E96D6084.png
  • 63A868A0-A994-4902-AEFF-CF77D9095A51.png
    63A868A0-A994-4902-AEFF-CF77D9095A51.png
  • 5EB909DF-3575-43B8-A66F-A966C7CEF3F7.png
    5EB909DF-3575-43B8-A66F-A966C7CEF3F7.png
  • A9CE7738-8D5C-43F5-86CC-D1EE3EDF6C41.png
    A9CE7738-8D5C-43F5-86CC-D1EE3EDF6C41.png
  • 7614A383-C2C3-40B7-B8DB-A3EE3C0BE71C.png
    7614A383-C2C3-40B7-B8DB-A3EE3C0BE71C.png
  • EFC7C2AE-9C35-4A10-8E93-16794C41C5E8.png
    EFC7C2AE-9C35-4A10-8E93-16794C41C5E8.png
Little update
Daisy is still doing great
She is very committed to her nest but also comes off to eat , drink and quick baths
She is taking care of herself as well as the eggs
Dasher ( her first daughter ) is also in the room with daisy and has been sharing on watch duties
If daisy gets off she will go stand over the eggs
I also caught dasher laying half in the crate and half out last night as they both don’t fit but she wanted to be close to daisy
All 10 eggs are showing signs of life but 4 of them look 2 days behind the other 6
All had heartbeats
Anyone have any ideas on this ?
I’ll post the pictures
Do all the eggs fit snugly underneath her? I wonder if some aren't being kept as warm

Back
Top Bottom