1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Round vs Square roost?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jen F, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Jen F

Jen F Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Western/ Central KY
    I have noticed alot of square roost post...( that's what some pictures look like anyway)
    I honestly wouldn't have thought that they would be used.
    Tell me your thought on square vs round post.
    What do you use?
    Jen

2. Jen F

Feb 24, 2011
    Western/ Central KY
    POLES not post [​IMG] hehehe

3. farmer_lew

farmer_lew Hi-Tech Redneck

Jun 29, 2010
    In the hills
    A 2x4 laid flat. The chickens sit on their feet to keep them warm. They don't "perch" like other birds.

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Quote:X2

5. Korben42

Korben42 New Egg

Mar 5, 2011
    From what I've seen, whatever you happen to have handy works best. However, the most popular with my chickens seems to be the roosts made from old 2x4s.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  6. Jen F

Feb 24, 2011
    Western/ Central KY
    It just looks like the square edges would hurt their feet [​IMG]

We are using round sturdy branches as a roost in mine. about 2-2.5 inches in diameter. It works.
    thanks

7. weazel922

weazel922 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2011
    Topeka, KS
    Then sand them down or angle cut them with a skill saw, but honestly it doesn't hurt their feet because they sit flat on them. A lot more comfortable than frost bright on the toes! That's the purpose of the 2x4's in cold climates. They can cover all their toes on a flat roost by sitting on them.

8. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

We use 2 x4's with the narrow side up on most of ours.
    I'm the odd one here. Everybody else turns them the other way. Good thing my chickens can't read or boy would they be upset. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  9. Jen F

Feb 24, 2011
    Western/ Central KY
    OH, I understand the flat side up now. It just looked like most roost that I had seen were 2x2 square. It just didn't look very comfortable for them.[​IMG]
    Oh well, I love knowing the reasoning behind everything anyway.
    Thanks

10. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Chickens can't grip things with their toes the way parrots and other perching birds can. Their feet are more suited to walking on the ground.

I use several different types of roosts: the flat board ones, but I do plane down the edges and sand them smooth, and natural tree branches, but I pick ones that are wider than the width of our chickens' feet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by