Roundworms in my chicken. How do I get rid of them?

I have wormed my hen but have yet to worm the others. If I administer the Safeguard fenbendazole to them even I'd they don't have worms, will it affect them in a negative way?

I have never experienced any negative effects from safeguard or worming of any kind in general. Just be sure to follow the dosage. I have had many negative outcomes from having worms in any of my animals. It is just not good and causes trouble one way or the other. I think it may be a X2 in the tropics IMO.

I have never experienced any negative effects from safeguard or worming of any kind in general. Just be sure to follow the dosage. I have had many negative outcomes from having worms in any of my animals. It is just not good and causes trouble one way or the other. I think it may be a X2 in the tropics IMO.
Keep up the good work!

I want to treat the rest of my flock just to be safe, but my darn arrogant father doesn't want to give it to them for some reason.

I have no idea what to say to him.

Maybe he will notice the difference in looks and behavior of the one who is being treated. It is kind of a scary thing to treat your chickens and worry about dosages, cost and vets. Maybe it is just fear. :idunnoMaybe it is because he wants to be natural. I have a few friends who go the all natural rout- until they get into trouble, then it is whatever works or lose your pet.
Do you think he may be willing to do a fecal float- take a fresh sample of poop to the vet? It is about $25 and they look through a microscope to identify eggs and such. Do YOU have a microscope???!! I know my grandkids do...🤔

Just know that they pick up worm eggs form the ground where they peck and poop and you can understand how easily it gets passed unintentionally- no matter how clean and perfect you keep things.

Maybe he will notice the difference in looks and behavior of the one who is being treated. It is kind of a scary thing to treat your chickens and worry about dosages, cost and vets. Maybe it is just fear. :idunnoMaybe it is because he wants to be natural. I have a few friends who go the all natural rout- until they get into trouble, then it is whatever works or lose your pet.
Do you think he may be willing to do a fecal float- take a fresh sample of poop to the vet? It is about $25 and they look through a microscope to identify eggs and such. Do YOU have a microscope???!! I know my grandkids do...🤔

Just know that they pick up worm eggs form the ground where they peck and poop and you can understand how easily it gets passed unintentionally- no matter how clean and perfect you keep things.
Update: The hen that had worms is going well, just broody, but this morning he informed me that another hen(he doesn't know which) pooped and dead worms were inside. I warned him, but because of his stubbornness here we are. I follow everything you guys tell me and he still thinks his way is right, even though you Chicken lovers are EXPERTS!!!
I'm going to treat the entire flock now, with or without him. Wish me luck.

Florida is the only place that I recommend automatically worming chickens 2 times a year. Once in early Spring, Once at the start of Autumn. There are several reasons for this. We have a large wild bird population, which can "contaminate" your birds. During the winter, the wild bird population increases, since most wild birds migrate here for the winter. Even if our temps drop to freezing, it isn't long enough for our ground to freeze in the winter, nor does it freeze long enough to kill worms. It doesn't freeze long enough to decrease the insect population, which many insects carry parasites. The rest of the year, it's hot, and humid. Ideal conditions for worms, and insects that carry them.

I switch off. Use Safe-Guard one year, and Valbazen the next. This helps keep them from becoming resistant. Dose each chicken. Don't put it in the water. The initial thought of dosing them is intimidating. Once you get used to dosing them, it's fairly easy peasy.

BE SURE to do the follow up dose in 10 days.

The other thing that I recommend doing 2 times a year, is removing everything from the coop, cleaning it out totally, and spraying it with permethrin. Martins, or Durvet 10% are fine. Mix accordingly. You don't need it extra strong, since you're mainly killing mites/lice. I do spray it a couple times during rainy season for ants. My coop is on higher ground, and during rainy season the ants try to move to higher ground. Usually I can spray outside the coop before they manage to move into the coop.

New to chickens so I'm still looking to the farm vet for guidance. We had to put a girl down for multiple problems and I had her sent to the University lab for analysis. Among other things she has round and tape worms. The vet prescribed 1.1cc of Panacur for 3 days per bird. Thank God I only have 5 birds. They take the medication OK, but catching them is challenge. A plus to it all was the vet nor the university charged me for the analysis or even postage to send her to the facility.

Update: The hen that had worms is going well, just broody, but this morning he informed me that another hen(he doesn't know which) pooped and dead worms were inside. I warned him, but because of his stubbornness here we are. I follow everything you guys tell me and he still thinks his way is right, even though you Chicken lovers are EXPERTS!!!
I'm going to treat the entire flock now, with or without him. Wish me luck.
Wait until he gets ready for breakfast and cracks open an egg only to find a roundworm in his egg. I'll bet he'll worm the birds himself.

canvetj00180-0051-b.jpg

Last edited:
New to chickens so I'm still looking to the farm vet for guidance. We had to put a girl down for multiple problems and I had her sent to the University lab for analysis. Among other things she has round and tape worms. The vet prescribed 1.1cc of Panacur for 3 days per bird. Thank God I only have 5 birds. They take the medication OK, but catching them is challenge. A plus to it all was the vet nor the university charged me for the analysis or even postage to send her to the facility.
Go out to the coop early in the morning just before sunrise while they are still on the roost. Then snatch them off the roost one by one and worm them.
If you still see tapeworm segments in feces after worming, buy a tube of Equimax equine paste and worm your birds with it. It'll kill tapeworms.
th3G3I95CG  equimax.jpg

Back
Top Bottom