Roundworms

rehmgrls

In the Brooder
Oct 2, 2017
NW Iowa
Had a fecal sample done on flock..indicated roundworms. Started Panacur in water this morning from the vet. They've had some diarrhea last few days..should I give them some plain yogurt? Would it help? Or does it just needs run its course? No other symptoms. Eating and drinking well.

Thanks!

Yogurt (plain) in small amounts would give them some probiotics. Panacur is best if given to each chicken individually at 1/4 ml per pound orally. It doesn’t mix in the water. If it was only round worms, you can use Wazine 17 in the water for 24 hours, but fenbendazole is a veyr good wormer for roundworms and other chicken worms.

Yogurt (plain) in small amounts would give them some probiotics. Panacur is best if given to each chicken individually at 1/4 ml per pound orally. It doesn’t mix in the water. If it was only round worms, you can use Wazine 17 in the water for 24 hours, but fenbendazole is a veyr good wormer for roundworms and other chicken worms.
I got the med from a farm animal vet who also has chickens..and gave me syringes of liquid and said to put in gallon of water. Will give them some plain yogurt tho.

Fenbendazole is best, and giving it to each bird insures that each bird gets the correct dose every day. Nothing wasted, everyone treated.
With a big flock, that's harder!
There are already probiotics in some feeds, and yogurt might add to their diarrhea.
Plan to reworm then on schedule too, and cleaning out the bedding, as in removing the infected poo, is important. A very early spring cleaning!
Mary

Fenbendazole is best, and giving it to each bird insures that each bird gets the correct dose every day. Nothing wasted, everyone treated.
With a big flock, that's harder!
There are already probiotics in some feeds, and yogurt might add to their diarrhea.
Plan to reworm then on schedule too, and cleaning out the bedding, as in removing the infected poo, is important. A very early spring cleaning!
Mary
Yes..I cleaned everything the other day. I haven't seen any actual worms. I will clean again when done dosing. I'm dosing for 5 days in 1 gallon everyday..and it's only source of water. Hope it is effective enough.

It is not uncommon at all to see no evidence of worms in the droppings. Doesn't mean they are not there, often the worm load in the bird needs to be enormous before you will see them passed in the droppings. Round worms can be a recurrent problem as the eggs will survive in the soil for a very long time, be ingested again, and the cycle restarts, so once you have completed treatment I would recommend that you have a fecal test done again to ensure treatment was successful (if not successful I'd do the fenbendazole direct dose), and then test again in 6 months to see if you are seeing them again. If they recur you may need to put them on a regular schedule of worming. Every environment is different, every flock is different.

Kinda more worried about the diarrhea right now..
Runny droppings are often a symptom of worms, so unless there is something else going on treatment should take care of it. When I worm with fenbendazole I usually see normal droppings within a day or two. I never use wormers in the water, I always direct dose each bird so that I know they each got the correct dose, no doubts. Rather than use yogurt (which in small amounts is fine for healthy birds) I would instead use a probiotic supplement that is not dairy based. Too much dairy can contribute to digestive upset which may just make it worse. Sav-a-chick makes a probiotic, and there are others.

Back
Top Bottom