Rowdy Little Rooster

melandtodd

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 17, 2011
Bowling Green
So, I was beginning to wonder if our 14 week old Golden Polish rooster was not going to be super "manly" with our 14 week old Australorpe hens........Well, today the hubby was holding a hen for the neighbor girl to pet the hen. The hen was calm and docile, but making that "purring" kind of low murmur while the girl was petting her. Out of the blue--that little rooster came around her and pecked her little hand!!
ep.gif
The little girl yanked it back, but said it did not hurt and she was fine. Shocked, but fine. Guess he is "The Man" and was protecting his gals!
thumbsup.gif

Thank you, TigerLilly. You are right and we will. He has been very, very mild and behaved so far, but we are aware that we need to keep an eye on him. Our 10 year old has trained them to follow her around and eat out of her hand--but we will watch him.

Yes do keep an eye on him. My dude used to peck the hen when I picked them up and they fussed, but one day he pecked me instead, then followed it up with a flying jump that was ended abruptly with a foot. We discussed the matter at length and I doubt he'll be correcting this "hen" again soon.

Back
Top Bottom