1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Ru With Scabs**pics** Please Read

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Beaky Buzzard, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Beaky Buzzard

Beaky Buzzard Chillin' With My Peeps

My Roo, Buttons, has yellow scab-like things on his ears (white spots. They are rough and stick up slightly. They are dry. He is 2 years old and completely healthy except for the stress of being chased by our other little rooster quite often. He free ranges. Is this from a lack of vitamins or is it from the stress? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the poor picture quality. I will try to post better ones tomarrow! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    He's a handsome roo, love his tie!

I don't have answer for you though, hopefully someone will soon.

3. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    That giant white thing is an ear? Or the problem? Never seen this huge ear before lol, maybe mites biting him?

4. Beaky Buzzard

Beaky Buzzard Chillin' With My Peeps

Wattles or ears or white circles or buttons whatever you want to call them.lol m sure its not mites tho. thanks.

5. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    Quote:that's just his earlobes. rosecombs have large white earlobes. beaky, all chickens with larger earlobes get small scabs on them at one time or another. it's just the normal wear and tear of being a chicken. it will heal soon. if your worried put a little vasaline (petroleum jelly) to speed up the healing process.

btw your rooster is adorable!

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    He is so cute! [​IMG] But what big EARS he has!! [​IMG]

7. TeriyakiChicken

TeriyakiChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Australia
    my 7 month old pullet had them on her wattles
    she was fine but now shes a bit sick (not sure if the scabs have anything to do with it)

Good Luck! hope he gets better soon

btw i love his tie [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by