Rubber egg shell was hanging out of rear?

Georgia Chickens

Songster
6 Years
Jun 7, 2017
Possible deformed egg broke inside, right @exit point? Found 15 min ago, roaming yard w/other chickens. Was Shooing bk into pen & noticed her rear. She did/does not seem stressed, in pain, as if anything wrong.
Hubby pulled empty, deformed, rubber type egg out of bottom. Hubby squeezed bottom. There seemed to be what looked like urine, poo, & tiny blood bits, come out.
Brought her in & put her in warm water w/ACV. Not sure what to do, &/or how serious?

Possible deformed egg broke inside, right @exit point? Found 15 min ago, roaming yard w/other chickens. Was Shooing bk into pen & noticed her rear. She did/does not seem stressed, in pain, as if anything wrong.
Hubby pulled empty, deformed, rubber type egg out of bottom. Hubby squeezed bottom. There seemed to be what looked like urine, poo, & tiny blood bits, come out.
Brought her in & put her in warm water w/ACV. Not sure what to do, &/or how serious?
Go dump the ACV out. That can inhibit calcium absorption from the feed.

What exactly do you feed your flock and how old is this bird?

I misread... I thought you were giving her apple cider vinegar water to drink.

She does not need to be soaked in any type of water right now nor does she need to drink any ACV.
Can you take a picture of what he pulled out of her?

Took her out of warm ACV bath. Gave half dropper of Nutri-Drench. She’s out w/others, acting as though nothing ever happened.
Hubby pulled shell & it got stuck to finger. He got ‘grossed out’, due to its horrible smell. He shook & shook hand, til it finally flew off. Landed in very lg pile of leaves. We have yet to find it. Still looking.
Our ladies get Organic feed. Very little scratch added (corn/grain mixture). Bk sun seeds, Wild bird mix, & dehy. Meal worms.

Took her out of warm ACV bath. Gave half dropper of Nutri-Drench. She’s out w/others, acting as though nothing ever happened.
Hubby pulled shell & it got stuck to finger. He got ‘grossed out’, due to its horrible smell. He shook & shook hand, til it finally flew off. Landed in very lg pile of leaves. We have yet to find it. Still looking.
Our ladies get Organic feed. Very little scratch added (corn/grain mixture). Bk sun seeds, Wild bird mix, & dehy. Meal worms.
Smell is bad. It's possible she has an infection is a vet an option?

I HIGHLY recommend you stop feeding ALL of the treats and only feed a pelleted or crumble feed.

Overweightness and an unbalanced diet are a major cause of reproductive illnesses that are usually not cureable.

I would give some human calcium with vitamin D3 1 tablet orally for the next 3 days to help harden the egg shells. Is your feed layer feed, and do you provide crushed oyster shell in a separate container? I would also try to get some amoxicillin from a vet or AquaMox online or in a fish supply store. Dosage is 125-250 mg given orally twice a day for 10 days to treat a possible reproductive infection.

This may not be the case at all, but it'd be a good idea to check the mill date on the feed. There are not as many people that feed organic feeds and if you're buying this feed from TSC or a similar store, sometimes it sits on the shelf for a while before it's purchased. All of the ingredients start degrading early on. The feed will still be safe but it won't be as nutritional as fresh feed. Again, I'm not saying this is the case, but I just wanted to mention it. I wish you and your flock the very best ❤️

Thank you so much for the help. Does D3 have to b tablet form? I have D3 in liquid gels. Could we just add to water bowl, for others to have extra protection also? We have 8 ladies total.
Have been using reg grit & oyster, in food. Also been giving along extra eggs, boiled w/shells crushed. Have a local vet I can/will call in morning about an antibiotic (amoxicillin). Almost positive I have some leftover from dog going to vet, few months back. Keep in crisper, in fridge. Great for emergencies &/or, just in case. Not sure if I can use it for chicken or not?
Local feed n seed no longer carry our food. Believe last batch, came from TSC. Have bag, it’s under potted veggies in garage. Will ck come morn.
Thank you so much for all the help! Very much appreciated! Would be completely lost online, searching for help, answers, remedies, etc.

The human Calcium w/D3; is that 1 pill daily, or 1 pill split between 3 days? Crushed & added to food, or water, or thru oral syringe? How many mg’s do you suggest? 3 y/o Sapphire Gem. Good weight, & normal build. 1st time ever any issues.

Have been using reg grit & oyster, in food.
It's best to offer the oyster shell & grit on the side. I use a separate, smaller feed container so they can eat as much, or as little, as they need. If it's mixed in the feed, each hen may not be getting as much as they need. They're better at regulating their bodies than we are. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom