Rubber egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mother clucker, Sep 20, 2012.

1. mother clucker

mother clucker New Egg

Aug 21, 2012
    Hi all...new to chicken keeping. My hens all seem well and laying almost everyday. This AM I discovered an egg with very soft shell on the roost. Looked like it was deflated and yolk was in the poop pan below. Everyone is eating well and have been making eggs regularly so should I be concerned? I only have 4 hens (2 Wynndottes and 2 Easter Eggers)...the Wynndottes are about 2 yrs old...we adopted them 2 months ago and they are settled in. I know it was one of their eggs because it was brown. Anyway everyone made eggs today 3 good ones and that oops on the roost. Ideas or thoughts?

2. oldrooster

oldrooster One Crazy Nut

sounds like a possible calcium deficiency there are other causes for a shell-less egg look it up here since I am not yet and expert on these problems but what do you feed your girls? and do they have access to oyster shell????

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Once and a while even with experienced hens an egg gets the rush job and ends up soft shelled. A one time ting isn't a worry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by