1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

rubber matting - no slip stuff -

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Grindlefamily, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    do you put it in when you start up the incubator or just add it when you take the eggs out of the turner??

Louella

2. bwhite28

bwhite28 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2007
    Southeastern PA
    Didn't your bator come with 1/4 in wire to put in the bottom. I'm curious what do you want to use rubber matting for?

3. Grindlefamily

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    well - take a look at some of the recent pictures of homemade bators - people put it in so the chicks don't slide around on the wire. I didn't use it last time and think I will this time. I am going to add it on day 18 when I take out the turner.

Louella

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I put it in when I take the turner out on day 18.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I put it in on day 18.

6. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Quote:It helps the chicks to be more stable on their feet and keeps most of the mess from being stuck to the bator.

7. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I, personaly, like the fact that it is much softer and gentler on their tiny little feet than the wire, too. I would feel kinda bad with those delicate little feet on wire, but I have this thing for chicken feet. [​IMG]

8. Grindlefamily

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    Thanks everyone! I didn't use it last time and they slipped and slid [​IMG] I will put it in on day 18!

Louella

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If they are a tiny breed their little feet can get caught in the wire bottom and break a toe too.

10. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    And then there happens to be myself who has never used it and hatch just fine!! [​IMG] lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by