Rubber mulch - preventing injury

Krugerrand

Crowing
Apr 17, 2020
SW Pennsylvania
My chicks are safe now ... they're 2-weeks old and in their brooder. When the move out to their coop/run, I'm planning on letting them free-rage in the yard while we're out and about with them. My concern ... the kids have a swing/slide play area with rubber mulch.

Will this area need to made to be off limits for the chickens, if that is even possible? From kids running from that area and through the back yard, bits and pieces of it could be just about anywhere. Will this be a problem? If so, does anybody have recommendations on a best way to move forward? What have others encountered when chickens discover playground space? Thank you!

My chicks are safe now ... they're 2-weeks old and in their brooder. When the move out to their coop/run, I'm planning on letting them free-rage in the yard while we're out and about with them. My concern ... the kids have a swing/slide play area with rubber mulch.

Will this area need to made to be off limits for the chickens, if that is even possible? From kids running from that area and through the back yard, bits and pieces of it could be just about anywhere. Will this be a problem? If so, does anybody have recommendations on a best way to move forward? What have others encountered when chickens discover playground space? Thank you!
Chickens will eat anything.. You if you go down in the run..

I would be more concerned about chicken poop in the kids' playground than about the chickens doing more than test-taste the rubber.

I suggest fencing that off if at all possible.
yes ... I'll have to keep an eye on how desirable the playground is for them. It won't be an easy one to fence off, so hopefully I won't have to go that route.

Back
Top Bottom