ruff eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by trooper, Dec 8, 2012.

1. trooper

trooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    [​IMG] I have been fortunate, as a general rule my hens do a good job on laying eggs. I've been blessed with that.I get various sizes,colors,shapes,textures,etc.I have a question.What makes them rough sometimes.Every now and then I get one that feels real rough.It feels on the order of 15 grit sand paper.(Maybe a little over kill),but you get the point.I'm just wandering if someone might have an idea of what might cause it[​IMG]

2. Becci

Becci Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    AL
    Hmm..

Could be disease. Respiratory infections such as Infectious Bronchitis will not only attack the respiratory tract, but the reproductive organs as well. Could be something less serious, such as a disturbance during the laying process, inheritance. Drastic change in environment and daylight hours could cause the hens to lay wonky eggs. Be sure you're providing adequate water and nutrition as well.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I suppose it could be calcium deposits, but these do not usually feel as you're describing.[/FONT]

3. trooper

trooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    [​IMG] Thanks I don't Think it is a respiratory issue because It was happening occasionally last year.It could very well be a number of the things you mentioned because i am in the process of remolding my coup,the time has changed,and a few other things.It hasn't seemed to effect the health of my other chickens.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by