Rumpie EEʻs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by birdsofparadise, Jan 1, 2009.

1. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    Out of my last batch of EE chicks, two were tailless like arucanas. If I start breeding, should I select or de-select for this trait? Or are these culls?

2. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Having the rumplessness, depending on what you're going for in your breeding could be a good or bad thing.

Possibly closer linked to the blue egg gene which could give you bluer eggs if breeding rumpless birds together and birds that are proven to lay that color.

If you're wanting egg color, I'd keep the rumpless birds. If you're wanting tails on your birds, then keep the tailed birds.

3. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Since they are EE's it is up to you. Personally I would keep them because they look different. With EE's they could look like anything. You could breed rumpless, crested, feather footed, single combed birds that could be any color.

4. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    I believe the European version of araucanas are essentially rumpless beared/muffed fowl.

5. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I thought the European Araucanas also had a crest?

6. ~SunSetsWest~

~SunSetsWest~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Central, Fl.
    Quote:Did you get those eggs from Sally in Fl.?

7. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    No. They were chicks from Ideal. I was surprised when they didnʻt sprout tails like the rest of the batch did.

8. chickenbuddy0

chickenbuddy0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    southwest Illinois
    They sound wonderful I'd keep them and try to start a line of em Why can't I get lucky like that:(

9. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    Aracucanas are rumpless, have a muff and ear tufts. Americanas have tails. The Aracucana also have a fatal gene, which is unfortunate, with many chicks dying shortly after hatching. That is why true rumpless, ear-tufted Araucanas are so valued. If your bird does not have ear tufts this basically considered a cross between and Americana and an Araucana, since the Americana came from the European Araucana. (Confussed???)

10. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    EE is not a breed so there is absolutely no standard for them in any form. So it is completely up to your own tastes if they are "preferred" or "culls". Ditto for colors, or even the beard/muffs- if you prefer the clean faced look, then go for it. Nobody can tell you they are "wrong".. no standard, remember..

One thing though, if it is the same sort of rumpless as on Araucanas- which is basically missing the whole tail(the parson's nose/bony lump below all that feathers) then it's not a real concern in any way. However there is another sort of rumpless that apparently is not very desirable called roach back which is a recessive and also distorts the back in some way(have never seen any examples of roachbacks).

Since you don't mention anything else about those birds, it's likely the usual rumpless anyways. Rumpless is also dominant which means it will show up in the crosses although the expression can vary a bit, from birds showing a few tail feathers(also often pointing in odd angles) to birds completely missing the whole tail.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by