rumples ee = blue eggs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sweeterdeeter42, Apr 19, 2011.

1. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    Is a rumples EE more likely to have bluer eggs since they have the rumpless trait?

2. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

EE could even mean a brown egg layer. Green maybe blue if your lucky

3. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    No, the rumpless trait does not have anything to do with the blue egg gene. Rumplessness shows up from time to time in various breeds. I even have a completely rumpless araucana that lays pink eggs. Her mom laid green eggs, her dad hatched out of a blue egg and she didn't get the blue egg gene at all. And yes she is pure araucana for 3 generations that I personally know about.

Lanae

4. wilds of pa

We never had a brown egg laying araucana here, only blue or green..i guess blue is dominate in most cases.

However if coming from hatchery stock EE's, anything is possible. Rumplessness doesn't pop up in other breeds very often. If it does its often in lethal form and crippling type. From what I know some hatcherys actually have real araucana in there breeder pens mixing up the gens with there muffed & bearded ee's.

In araucana history the collonca was actually responsible for carrying the blue egg gene which is a rumpless wild chicken.
    The quetro tailed tufted chicken was the brown egg layer. Both these birds made up what is today araucana

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  5. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    This particular bird is a black rumpless EE that is a breeders creation. No hatchery lines as far as I know. A website with an egg/breed chart said that Araucanas are strictly blue egg layers, so I was wondering if that came through if they also carry other dominant Araucana traits. I am aware that EE's can lay brown, blue, or green eggs as I have a few, but none are rumpless like this one.

6. wilds of pa

All depends what they used or had running together to get that particular bird. More or less its a mutt chicken. Don't take much to mix up a batch of unknown gens to confuse one. Blue eggs are desired mostly in araucana, but green is also fine for some as well. Brown egg layers are not a trait bred often in araucana anymore to my knowledge.

7. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    I havn't heard of anyone breeding brown egg laying araucana either. In my case I am breeding my pink egg laying araucana to a roo that hatched from a blue egg, keeping all the offspring seperate, simply to see how hard it is or easy, to get the blue gene back. After this year she goes into my table egg pen since realistically she doesn't add anything to my breeding stock, just a curiosity.

I am assuming that the parents of my pink egg layer were only homozygous for the blue gene.

I would ask the breeder what birds they used to get their rumpless ee's. Maybe Araucana and Easter Egger.

Lanae

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by