Rumpless Orp?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Goose and Fig, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    This girl (Blue Bubbles) is filling out completely different than her black sister. They are not quite to POL, and the sister looks like an Australorp at the moment. BB reminds me or an Aracauna(sp?) Is she ever going to get a proper tail?
    Anyone else had this happen?

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, that is a proper tail for an Orp, actually. They don't really have upright tails like many breeds do. She's not rumpless, which is a condition where there is a part missing that would hold the tail( maybe I didnt say that right.)

3. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Really? I don't remember my what my buffs looked like at that age. Here is the sister- she has the opposite kind of butt:
    [​IMG]

Here she is with a younger Orp we call Itsaroosternoitsahen:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  4. speckledhen

Mine at that age are football-shaped, LOL. No tails.

5. Tony

Tony Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    Your blue orpington is a rooster. That`s why his tail is different from his sister. Blue orp roos have the tendency to resemble a ball with a head and legs sticking out of it. ALL of my blue orp roos looked exactly like him at that age.

6. speckledhen

I agree that one is a male. Here is a splash Orp pullet I had recently--see how round she is?

[​IMG]

7. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    NO WAY! BB is the one that I thought was a roo, and then everyone said was a hen. She has really skinny legs though. [​IMG]

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Blue Orp is a roo... first thing I noticed.

9. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Oh I was hoping for a big blue guy! I gave up when I thought it was a girl. Why is he so small? My buff Orp roo is twice the size of his sister.

ETA- the buffs are 4 weeks or so younger- and the roo is way bigger than BB- is it a color thing?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by