Run and coop on a hill: smell and rain water management questions

To level it would be a huge project. Front side is 2 and 1/2 cinder blocks off the ground and other is 5. Any other places that were closer to level are either traffic areas or already in use.

Since this pic we have finished the ground boards and three lower hot wires. Windows and vents are on the other sides where we could get to them using only a small ladder. Coop has attic with ridge vent caps, two attic fans that pull coop air up and out. One runs 24/7 and by itself can completely exchange the coop air in 15 minutes. The larger one kicks on at 80° . The girls willung go in each night. I think the like under the coop because they get the cool ground and can see all around.
I do have a smaller run with own pop door to a small brooder/coop inside the main coop.
View attachment 2252354View attachment 2252355
You could build a retaining wall using 6x6 Posts laid flat and secured on the ground. Level the area at the bottom of the incline and drill a few holes in the 6x6 and hammer some rebar into the ground to hold the 6x6 into place. Build up by adding more 6x6's making sure to fasten them to the 6x6 below each. You goal is not to flatten the slope 100% just to ease the slope to better maintain your run off.

The gutters probably helped a bunch!

Good luck!

You could build a retaining wall using 6x6 Posts laid flat and secured on the ground. Level the area at the bottom of the incline and drill a few holes in the 6x6 and hammer some rebar into the ground to hold the 6x6 into place. Build up by adding more 6x6's making sure to fasten them to the 6x6 below each. You goal is not to flatten the slope 100% just to ease the slope to better maintain your run off.

The gutters probably helped a bunch!

Good luck!
Do you me stair steping sections like rice paddies on hill sides?

Sorry, I don't speak fluent Missouri and I've had a few cold ones... 🍻 :D

But if you mean a Terraced Landscape with a retaining wall, yes that is what I'm suggesting.
https://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/outdoors/structures/building-a-timber-retaining-wall
I've been working outside most of the day in 95° heat with index of 105... I'm doing good to know my name right now. My brain just wouldn't compute terraced... Enjoy your beer, it's getting to be beer 30 here.

Back
Top Bottom