Run Anxiety--Please help!

Barnrat

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 14, 2008
Upstate NY
I am a new chicken owner; I have 3 Rhode Island Reds and 3 Leghorns--all 4 weeks old. I just built an 8x8 run with a roof (will be building a coop to go inside the run) and now, of course, I'm having mega anxiety that I've missed something or underestimated the power of a predator. I used 1/2" hardware cloth for all of the sides and I also wrapped the top with hardware cloth before putting the roof on. I attached the hardware cloth to the frame with staples using a staple gun--will this hold or should I retro-fit with screws/washers? I have bags full of the screws for metal roofing that would work, but I didn't think to use them.

I did not bury the hardware cloth--theoretically this is a movable run--but I did cover the "floor" with chicken wire. Is this enough?

We have all kinds of predators where I live, so I'm trying to anticipate anything that could happen and protect my girls!

Barnrat

4 dogs, 6 cats, 7 horses, 6 chickens!

it all sounds good; do you have a photo, by any chance? sometimes it's easier to see problems than anticipate them by description.
smile.png

The problem with putting wire on the floor of a run is chickens like to scratch and the wire will be hard on their feet.

Weasels and rats can dig and come up through 'chicken wire'. You could certainly enhance by burying hardware cloth on the edges, check home page below for lots of pics on how to do this. You've done a spendid job so far, going the extra distance will give you peace of mind, and safe chickens!
cool.png

Last edited:
Thanks for all of your suggestions! I will make some adjustments based on your good advice and will also post some pictures. I was going to take some last night, but got caught up in other chores.

Barnrat

Barnrat, I understand your anxiety. Next week (hopefully), I'll be ready to start making what I hope will be a super-safe run, but...

Actually, I want mine so safe that I won't have to go out to the coop every morning and evening to open/close a pop door. Ain't gonna happen, is it.

Nope, probably won't happen! I have some thoughts on how I can retro fit hardware cloth to the floor of my run and then I'll lay in some sand or shavings. I'm also going to add the screws with washers around to reinforce the hc attachment. The staples I used are 9/16, and they seem very secure, but like I said, I fear I have underestimated the power of a determined racoon/weasle/mink/whatever. I made the mistake of checking out some of the predator threads and they scared me completely!

And one of these days I'll get a picture and show y'all what I've built...

Back
Top Bottom