Run - apron? Buried wire? Both?

KWVT

Songster
May 6, 2017
Vermont
We are new to having chickens and are finishing up our coop/run.

I'm trying to figure it the best way to secure the run. Some people say bury wire 1-2' and others use an apron of wire around the outside. People don't do both do they?

I'm leaning toward adding an apron of hardware cloth on top of the grass and finding a way to anchor it until the grass grows through and helps hold it in place. Is that good or should I try to bury it instead? We definitely have fox because I've seen them during the day after they cut hay next door. We also have raccoons. I don't think dogs or bear should be a big issue.

I have some areas where the run was built level on unlevel ground. Adding an apron and then back filling the gaps (on top of the hardware cloth) with dirt would work, yes? It would only be a few inches underground, but I could come out 1-2 feet around the run.

Here is the back side (run is L shaped and wraps around the front). It's obviously not done in this picture, but it's too dark to go take another right now!

IMG_8299.JPG

Perfect, thanks! I think it will end up partially buried in spots because I do want to add some soil where there are gaps due to the ground being unlevel, but I won't worry about digging any big trenches!

I like to bury the apron about 2", which means take up the turf, put in the apron, then put the sod back on top of it. That keeps the apron out of the way of weed eaters and lawn mowers. Otherwise you probably need to lay something on top of it to keep it flat so the grass can grow up through it to hold it down. Taking a layer of sod off the top should be a whole lot easier than digging a trench, especially if your soil is as rocky as mine.

I have had something, my guess is coyotes, try to dig into my run a few times. The apron worked.

Thanks for posting this mine will be similar. Mine will be on a slope so much leveling. I tilled the perimeter so I can level the foundation and have cement blocks at the low end with the hardware cloth anchored under it so that end it will be buried. Hauling at least 40 bags of dirt for fill. There will be patio blocks as a foundation all the way around also anchoring one side of the hardware cloth. We have lots of coons so hoping this will stop them. A bit of dirt, grass seed and straw over the wire to even things out a bit and keep my dogs from mud if it rains.

I like to bury the apron about 2", which means take up the turf, put in the apron, then put the sod back on top of it. That keeps the apron out of the way of weed eaters and lawn mowers. Otherwise you probably need to lay something on top of it to keep it flat so the grass can grow up through it to hold it down. Taking a layer of sod off the top should be a whole lot easier than digging a trench, especially if your soil is as rocky as mine.

I have had something, my guess is coyotes, try to dig into my run a few times. The apron worked.
I like this idea - I think we we'll bury a couple of inches. I was worried about the wire hurting our ducks feet!

Back
Top Bottom