run "apron'?

eastercreek

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 26, 2011
Benton, LA
In looking over coop designs on BYC, I noticed that a lot of folks described a hardware cloth "apron" and the most common dimensions were 4"-6". Does this mean that they just extended the fencing material onto the ground and outwards and then put rocks or dirt over it to prevent digging predators? We have been advised to line the underside of our coop building with heavy fence material to prevent chewing predators for gaining access underneath....that is if they are able to dig under the foundation to get there. My concern is the actual run. Will this apron design be sufficient or should we bury the fencing?

The apron design should work. Really, the only reason we bury the fencing is because it looks better but the animals won't be able to dig in even if it isn't.

From what I have read here I think they extend the hardware cloth a couple of feet out from the exterior of the run. Laying it flat on the ground and the grass grows through it making the hardware cloth not very noticeable.

I have about 18" extended out from my run and I have staked the wire down with metal tent stakes I bought at Walmart. Works great! I live in the woods with lots of predators but nothing has made it into the run or coop.

Quote:
Wire should stop most if not all diggers, especially once the grass has grown over it, or if it's camoflauged with gravel or something. At least that's what I would think. I have a 1x1 wire buried about 6" and can see spots where diggers gave up.

I buried a 20" wire apron and connected it to the bottom of the coop and run. I used old scraps of 2" X 4" welded wire which I expect will keep out all diggers that we have in our area. After it was buried you'd never know it was there. Here are some pics:

56638_coopwireskirt.jpg
56638_runwireskirt.jpg

Here's my approach to the apron method:

32217_door.jpg

We have heavy clay soil, so digging and burying wire just wasn't a realistic option. I attached a 2 foot wide apron to the baseboard, tacked it down with landscaping staples, and covered it up with pine bark mulch.

On our first model, I didn't take this last step and our yard maintenance guy accidentally caught the edge of the apron with his lawnmower. Have to watch out for that. However, we have since cancelled the yard maintenance because the power equipment noise was scaring the chickens...and I also decided to go greener. I bought a Fiskars reel mower and absolutely love it!

Back
Top Bottom