Run away Geese3

Jeepster515

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 26, 2011
Spout Spring, VA
We just bought some Toulouse Geese from a local guy. We put them in our enclosure with the goats and everything seemed to be fine. However, they found an opening and got out. The 2 females took off. It didn't help that the dogs thought it was a game of tag. The male got out but has not runaway. We have 19 acres and we searched 3 of them but no sign of them. I got the dogs as soon as they ran away so I know they didn't get to them. This is the first time that we've had geese so my wife and I don't know much about them. Will they come back to the male or are we out 50 bucks?

Oh no, they don't really know where home is. I don't think they are like cats and go back to their original home but it doesn't hurt to call the local guy who sold them to you to find out if they wandered back (even though he might laugh at you) I suppose you could encourage the gander to honk a lot and maybe they will hear him.

Poor confused geese.

You can tell I am not quite an expert on this. I'm Moving and have to bring the geese to the new place, so I am worried the geese will take off. We will need to make sure they can't squeeze through the fence.

That's horrible, I hope they come back. I will pray for you
hugs.gif

Well, I had a goose who tried to run away with my lab....seriously,, they were pals and one day someone opened the gate and I could them wandering down the road, fortunately I got out and herded them back. If their wings weren't clipped they could have partly flown , especially if chased and dogs love to chase geese, and coyotes ,etc.... See if the prior owner taught them a "dinnertime" word..Mine come running if I call"dinnertime" or " bedtime"(to go in pen).

Back
Top Bottom