Run "bedding" question!

cp2894_

Songster
May 17, 2022
Indiana
Ok so while looking for a material to use as "bedding" for our chicken run that needs to be ready in 4 weeks (I have 5 two week old chicks. Never had chickens before), I was considering sand but I would need a ton of 60lbs bags. 50 bags to be exact. That's over $300 and I'm on kind of a tight budget. Is there another material that would be cheaper but good for the chickens? I live in Indiana (to give an idea of the climate) and the run will have a roof. Sand seemed like a good option but it's more expensive than expected.

Other info:
-The run right now is dirt with a lot of rocks on top. Previous owners did that. Not sure why.

-The easier the maintenance the better

-Want something that won't create a lot of bad bacteria or infest the chickens with mites/other insects. I do have DE though that I can sprinkle on top.

Is there another material that would be cheaper but good for the chickens?
If you have space to store a large pile of chipped tree trimmings, that can be free.
...and is the best for runs, IMO.

The run right now is dirt with a lot of rocks on top. Previous owners did that. Not sure why.
Please post pics.

If you have space to store a large pile of chipped tree trimmings, that can be free.
...and is the best for runs, IMO.

Please post pics.
Unfortunately I'm not home so I can't get close up pictures but I have this one from farther away. If you zoom in you can kind of see the size of the rocks in the wheel barrel. We were trying to dig up any loose rocks before putting sand down but there's still a lot more. Also we're going to wrap it in hardware cloth and put a roof on top. That wooden platform was warped so we removed it. Underneath is just more rocks and dirt.

Unfortunately I'm not home so I can't get close up pictures but I have this one from farther away. If you zoom in you can kind of see the size of the rocks in the wheel barrel. We were trying to dig up any loose rocks before putting sand down but there's still a lot more. Also we're going to wrap it in hardware cloth and put a roof on top. That wooden platform was warped so we removed it. Underneath is just more rocks and dirt.
ugh the picture didn't attach. Sorry let me try again.
1653947931021.png

My run uses deep litter, 100% free. Wood chips from our own property, dried leaves, dried mowed grass clippings, garden trimmings, pulled weeds. Obviously avoid anything that's toxic or that may have been in contact with herbicides, etc.

Anything and everything in my yard goes in my run. Leaves grass pine needles dead plants food scraps. No smell and birds love it. Last fall I had leaves 4 ft deep. They're gone now, decomposed. Just added about 3 feet of pine needles, they're already getting smaller. Gonna clean yard abit today and add some leaves and grass clippings.

Back
Top Bottom