Run/coop bedding

Uprising

Chirping
10 Years
May 13, 2013
Salt Lake City, UT
Hi all, I'm looking for some suggestions for ground cover in my coop's run.

I live in SLC, Utah. My run is well-ventilated and exposed to sun for a good part of the day (with a good amount of shade and a fan/mister for the girls too). We have a very dry and hot summer. However, my main concern is moisture and bugs. My babies love to tip their water over often, and with the fan/mister, having had frequent random rain storms up until fairly recently, etc. I've been finding that these moist spots take a longer time to dry than I'd like despite the run being in the sun for a good part of the day. This usually attracts annoying bugs and doesn't make the smell pleasant when it is very moist (obviously). I've used wood chips mostly, as well as sand, and it still always seems like anytime any part of the run gets wet, it stays pretty soggy for longer than I'd like. I guess I would just like something to keep in there that helps absorb moisture without staying soggy and keeps annoying bugs at bay as much as possible while still being nice to be in for the girls. I don't want my run staying damp or smelly.

Any recommendations?

First thing that comes to my mind would be wood chips, I think that would do well, although I don't have any experience with them.

Is drainage an issue in the soil there? Because wood chips should dry out quickly, provided there's enough drainage underneath.

You don't really want run litter to absorb moisture, ideally it should let it pass through quickly and then surface dry, and that will keep odor at bay.

Back
Top Bottom