run cover

clothdiaperingmom

Songster
9 Years
Feb 7, 2010
Sweetwater, TX
Is poultry netting (looking at 1 that specifically has 3/4" holes) ok to cover a run?
Im thinking the smaller holes like this one would be better then one that has 1 1/2- 2" holes.
Will it securely keep hawks out? or will my birds try to fly up and get all tangled up in it?
Thanks!

My run is 1/2" hardware cloth, the top of my run is a mix of 1" chicken wire and some with 2" holes. I don't think chickens will try to fly out! Hawks may still try to swoop down (at least they will here in central TX) but if the netting is tight so they can't mess with it, it should be fine. The sides need to be smaller mesh to prevent raccoons and such from reaching in but I am under the impression that the top is less of a big deal.

That chicken wire you mentioned will work just fine and will be very secure, and I think those holes are too small for the chicks to have any problems if they do jump up.

I am a newbie but this info is from what I've read on various sites.

This is exactly what I am planning to use in my run...in the process of building now. (BTW, it is 5.98 at Lowe's)
wink.png

I have chicken wire over the temp run, at 6 feet high, never had a problem of chickens flying up that high while in the run. they go up to the roost and "eyeball" the "roof" but even though it is loose, they have never tried to fly into it.

I wouldn't recommend using plastic netting, something could chew through it one night and then a bird could escape through that hole the next day.

I have been wondering about that also. All sides will be hardware cloth on our coop, so will it be bad to have something less secure for the top such as netting? My chickens will be locked inside at night, but will something chew through the netting during the day to get them? It would be very expensive to cover the top with hardware cloth panels, but we are thinking about it...

That bird netting is very lightweight stuff. It's made to drape over trees. (it's also available for less money at your Lowe's, Home Depot or local gardening nursery)

If your chickens are going to be securely locked in a coop at night, chicken wire over the run will do. But if they aren't locked in at night, go with very securely attached hardware cloth.

Back
Top Bottom