1. heybarb

heybarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    What have you covered your runs with? aviary netting? hardware cloth? a tarp? fishing line zig-zagging back and forth? We finished our run yesterday and are hoping to cover it to keep the girls in and to keep the hawks out...suggestions?

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    My chickens stay in because they are probably too heavy and unmotivated to fly out over the 6 foot fence.

I put some crisscross strings to foil any raptors that might fancy a visit to the run. The tomato plants grew all over them, but I guess the effect is the same.

We have some large trees that probably hamper a clean run into the coop area by any flying predators, but I felt better with the strings there.

Chris

3. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    We put hardware cloth over it, rather an expensive, but hoping pretty permanent solution. That run is where the ducks and guineas are over night, they have shelter, but prefer to sleep out and about inside the enclosed run. We like it so much we want to cover our other run too!

Good luck.

4. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

What we've done...

Gail

5. heybarb

heybarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    Thank you for your ideas! I would love to see or hear about more options too.

6. kimchick621

kimchick621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2012
    Mine is covered with bird netting, although I'm considering having a tarp on one side to help keep food dry in the snow/rain.

7. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

I put my run under the deck in the backyard...it utilizes space efficiently and it has done a great job of protecting the run and the birds from the weather.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  8. CoopDeViIIe

CoopDeViIIe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2012
    I made removable panels made out of 2x4s and corrugated steel sheets to cover mine. I wanted to keep the rain from making the run a mushy mess.

9. 20736

20736 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    I like keeping the run dry.
    We have a tarp on top of chain link.
    Water and varmit proof.

[​IMG]

10. DaphneNL

DaphneNL Chillin' With My Peeps

Our runs are covered because it rains a lot here in Holland and because we don't have to change anything if segregation measures need to be taken (bird flu).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by