1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Run design and predators

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MichelleL64, Mar 7, 2016.

1. MichelleL64

MichelleL64 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2014
    New York
    Currently I have my 11 chickens free ranging on about 2 1/2 acres. The yard is fenced in with electrical fencing to keep out fox/coyotes. Recently I lost my rooster to a hawk. I want to build a run for my girls to keep them safe from Hawks when I'm not home. How concerned do I have to be with securing the run from foxes given the electrical fencing around the perimeter of the yard?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    If there's a way in, a Fox or coyote will find it. No one can really say what's best for you. Predators always seem to be hit or miss. I personally like a fairly secure run so if I need it I have it.

3. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    Treat the run as if you DON'T have the electric fence there. After all, you never know when the power will be out. It is a good back up but don't depend on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by