Run door help

RebelFord81

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Aug 7, 2023
Windham, Ohio
How do I predator proof my run door? We're going to run hardware cloth along the perimeter and up the run of course but the doors flimsy at best 😒

Attachments

• 20230808_205306.jpg
    20230808_205306.jpg
    788.6 KB · Views: 112
Please don't mind my asking, but why is the run so tiny in relation to the coop? And are you going to cover it over the top and if so, with what, and how high up? My back is aching at the thought of stooping to get into that tiny door.

As for the door and the run in general, I assume you're replacing all those zip ties that are holding it together when you install HWC? This post shows one way of installing HWC over a door to cover gaps: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...der-2020-version.1529488/page-7#post-25809665

My set up is slightly different, I installed HWC over the door frame wide enough to cover about 2/3rds of the gap, and did the same with the door, so when the door closes, the HWC sandwiches over itself.
gate.jpg

Downside with both of those options is if your door swings both in and out, you will need to commit to a single direction as the wire that blocks the door gap will prevent the door swinging the other way.

How do I predator proof my run door? We're going to run hardware cloth along the perimeter and up the run of course but the doors flimsy at best 😒
This is not really an easy fix but it can be done.

First: The hinges. Rotate them so the are perpendicular to the "wall". This will allow you to lift the gate up. You will have to leave them loose to find the best position so the gate (peach) closes the best. Make sure the top, side and bottom of gate overlap the door opening frame.

Add a bottom rail to the gate opening (Blue).

You will either have to move the latch post over, try and stretch the chainlink
Or
Add a post.

Made this drawing. Hope it shows what I mean.

Unfortunately the actual latch will not be of any use, but a bit of chain will keep it shut. If you are interested in doing this, I can search for a latch that works for this. I know i have seen one before.

Page-2.png

Last edited:
I knew I had seen a latch somewhere.

They are called Rolling gate latches. This one from amazon is pricey but I am linking it because it has good illustrations. You will have to rotate them so that your gate can close as much as possible.

716UWVwj5DL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Disclaimer: I am not 100% sure what size the tubing on run is so the links provided may not be the size you need. make sure to measure all first and double check with seller.

Sold on this site way cheaper but shipping might come out to the same
Brace bands separately for either.

Other

Please don't mind my asking, but why is the run so tiny in relation to the coop? And are you going to cover it over the top and if so, with what, and how high up? My back is aching at the thought of stooping to get into that tiny door.

As for the door and the run in general, I assume you're replacing all those zip ties that are holding it together when you install HWC? This post shows one way of installing HWC over a door to cover gaps: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...der-2020-version.1529488/page-7#post-25809665

My set up is slightly different, I installed HWC over the door frame wide enough to cover about 2/3rds of the gap, and did the same with the door, so when the door closes, the HWC sandwiches over itself.
View attachment 3604745

Downside with both of those options is if your door swings both in and out, you will need to commit to a single direction as the wire that blocks the door gap will prevent the door swinging the other way.
It's what we were given for now and it was free. Yes it will be covered and my husband already retied it with fence tie

How many birds do you have/planning to get at this time? Will they get free range time?
This is basically for the pullets till they can free range. I'm a stay at home mom so I'm always home. I have 9 pullets. the kennel is 6x10 I also have 2 of these tractors I put out into the yard that were given to me that I've been putting my big hens in until they get used to their now home and I can free range them

Attachments

• IMG_20230809_114055.jpg
    IMG_20230809_114055.jpg
    944.4 KB · Views: 12
This is basically for the pullets till they can free range. I'm a stay at home mom so I'm always home. I have 9 pullets. the kennel is 6x10 I also have 2 of these tractors I put out into the yard that were given to me that I've been putting my big hens in until they get used to their now home and I can free range them
Good to know! The kennel by itself is not big enough for them full time once they grow up, so free range will be the way to go with your set up.

Good to know! The kennel by itself is not big enough for them full time once they grow up, so free range will be the way to go with your set up.
We have 8 acres I'm a firm believer in free ranging chickens, my girls before were always free ranged. Once funds are better we will build a bigger enclosure. But for now it's what we have to work with lol

Back
Top Bottom