Run egg then soft egg

Chickeemariee

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2023
I have a flock of three hens who all are currently acting and looking healthy. My wyndotte who fairly consistently lays every other day has had a bit of a weird laying cycle. Yesterday I found an egg of hers in the run, I didn’t see it until the evening but not sure if it was a morning lay, I did the float test and it sunk so I think it’s fine. This morning I wake up and find a soft egg in their coop but not in a nesting box. I’m fairly certain they are both hers as they look large and pink like her usual. She has a bit of poopy butt feathers but she’s always been prone to that and her vent itself looks pretty normal. Eating and acting completely normal otherwise with an empty crop this l morning. I will continue to monitor her but does this sound familiar to anyone or of any real concern?

Chickens laying eggs elsewhere isn’t a cause for concern. Sometimes the nesting boxes are full, or they just find a nice little dip in the ground.
On the other hand, soft eggs are normally a sign that the hen is not getting enough calcium. Do you offer crushed eggshells or oyster shells to your birds?

Chickens laying eggs elsewhere isn’t a cause for concern. Sometimes the nesting boxes are full, or they just find a nice little dip in the ground.
On the other hand, soft eggs are normally a sign that the hen is not getting enough calcium. Do you offer crushed eggshells or oyster shells to your birds?
I normally always have shells out for them to eat but I went about 3/5 days without & this seemed to be a direct response to that. Her crop isn’t full but it is a little squishier than normal, I gave her & the other two a little Greek yogurt as well.

She’s about 19 months or so old, I’ve only had her for about 3 but I’m assuming she’s probably been laying a little over a year now.
Ah, okay. Well I wouldn't sweat it unless it becomes a reoccurring issue. A soft egg being dropped in a non nest location is probably more indicative of the difficulty they have in laying them. The hard shelled egg in the run, who knows?

Ah, okay. Well I wouldn't sweat it unless it becomes a reoccurring issue. A soft egg being dropped in a non nest location is probably more indicative of the difficulty they have in laying them. The hard shelled egg in the run, who knows?
Thank you for your advice, fingers crossed for a normal egg in the next day or two

If you live in the northern hemisphere, she may be slowing production and will molt soon.
Not uncommon to get some funky eggs at this time.
I live in Hawaii, that’s interesting I had no idea. She laid another soft egg in the coop this morning.

She laid a normal egg in the nesting box this morning! Very proud of her. I had given her a small amount of plain greek yogurt as well as returned egg shells to their feed routine. Thank you everyone for your help!

Back
Top Bottom