1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RUN FENCE HIGHT

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by red star11, Dec 24, 2008.

1. red star11

red star11 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2008
    Medina, Ohio
    my run is 5 feet high with no netting on top. Is that enough to keep Red Stars in? Dimentions: 17ft x 25ft. 11 chickens. Thanks.[​IMG]

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    It is enough the proplem without cover is hawks, and in winter the rain and bad weather.

Omran.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Put something over the top. Netting, something solid... Keep them safe.

My red star could almost go over 5 feet. (she's my big girl) I have some RIR who could do it just by jumping.

4. red star11

Dec 21, 2008
    Medina, Ohio
    OK. but what kind of netting.[​IMG]

5. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:You can use chicken wire as netting, or mesh wire, you can find it at tractor supply or other feed stors.

good luck.

6. red star11

Dec 21, 2008
    Medina, Ohio
    Thanks. I think i'll use chicken wire on about half of the run. I am going to leave room for me to walk to the coop. Half of the run will give them enough cover right?[​IMG]

7. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Id cover the whole run. Cause hawks can get them way to easy if there is any uncovered part.

8. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    We found some bird netting at a local farm store. It's meant to be used over your garden to keep birds from picking at your veggies. Works great on the run though. You'd probably be able to find it at any garden supply place.

9. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    Put some taller posts in the center and run a ridge down the middle to raise the top covering high enough for you to walk under. You will need some way to shorten the span of the chicken wire anyway. If you run chicken wire or any material across a 17' span it is going to be sagging down to the ground very soon.

Even if you manage to stretch it taut, you will be faced with the same problem that some here have written about over the past week, where they provided absolutely no method of supporting a covered run that gets covered with ice and snow and now it is on the verge of collapse.

So yes, I agree you should cover the whole run if you need to to protect your birds from predators from the sky, but do it in a way that it won't collapse after the first ice storm. Keep a number of 2X4's handy over the winter to simply prop it up. It's a lot more rewarding than doing nothing and then complain about it later.

Wayne

10. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    You can get deer netting at Lowe's, 7-0 x 100' roll for around $12.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by