Run fencing/chicken abilities

Hottchick

Songster
9 Years
Jul 29, 2010
I'm getting ready to start the coop and run for my little chicks who are 1 week old. My property where I plan on building their run has a tree house for my children in it. I want to include this piece so the chickens can go under the tree house for shade and protection from rain. The tree house has stairs going straight up the tree.

My question, since this is my first time raising chickens, is, can they manage to get up the tree using the straight ladder? I'm afraid they will be able to get out if they can. I may have to alter my plans even though I don't want to. I have suggested to my husband changing the stairs to a rope ladder that we can roll up when the kids aren't using it.

What do you think?

If it's a ladder that's straight up and down they may be able to hop from rung to rung. I've seen pics where some can do this but most don't have the room to stand on them if it has a slight angle on it they will for sure be able to climb it. if you don't want them up there instead of adding a rope ladder cut the ladder off a few feet off the ground and add some hinges to it to be able to flip flop it as needed.

You also have to consider what predators could get in that opening, too. Just about everything likes to eat chickens, and many of those predators are expert climbers, both up and down.

Thanks so much! I didn't even think about predators! Maybe I will just leave that area out for their safety.

Hotchick, I don't think your birds will climb the vertical ladder. They might really like it under the treehouse though. Mine love to be under things. I think that makes them feel safer.

Back
Top Bottom