Run floor

Putting. Dust bath area (dry area) filled with diatomaceous earth. Using mulch, dried leaves and other dry materials can harbor mites. Like fleas on a dog these are bloodsucking parasites. Such dust bathes will provides a great way to rid themselves of these mites. For what’s its worth.

I am grateful my run is 8 inch depth of sand, but I also have sandy soil with a layer or clay.

IMO, a mix of materials and textures is best to minimize packing and matting -- which can create anaerobic pockets.

Wood chips, wood shavings, straw, pine straw, fall leaves, and any other dry organic material that you can readily obtain.

A handful or two of scratch tossed in every few days will encourage the chickens to turn it over and you can use a manure fork to break up any crusted areas. Keep on adding thin layers as needed and you'll have a nice deep litter system going in short order.

BEE3AD8B-3C91-42B3-937F-FD6F33283E60.jpeg

No problems so far with flooding, cleaning I use a dog litter rake and scoop, mulch pile is kept away from pen. Did not want to let all the critters know they are near. Even u dear the sand is full wire bottom as predator barrier.

Of course many areas in America, sand won’t work. Natural materials work better, for those using such materials such as mulch or leaves two things to consider, fungal respiratory infection if used in hen house with poor ventilation and mites.

Natural materials work better, for those using such materials such as mulch or leaves two things to consider, fungal respiratory infection if used in hen house with poor ventilation and mites.
We're taking about a run not a coop.

Dust bath area (dry area) filled with diatomaceous earth.
DE and sand can cause respiratory issues also.
Oh, and DE won't prevent or kill mites/lice.
Poops won't break down in sand, you can't get it all out eventually it will become saturated with pulverized poops and reek when damp. How will you scoop poops when the sand freezes?

Last edited:
We have local farmers that we can get straw from, that way we know where it is coming from. You can even put a small bale in the run, and remove the twine holding it together, the flock will do all the work of spreading it for you.
I also do this in the coop but with pine shavings, I just drop a few bucket fulls in one spot and they spread the shavings around for me.

Back
Top Bottom