Run floor

chickenchicky11

In the Brooder
May 12, 2015
Newton, NH
I have a very big run for my 6 ladies. Currently it is a dirt floor and I rake it about every other day. I feel like I am running out of dirt as I'm raking it away. What does everyone else have for the their run? Dirt? Hay? Grass? Suggestions?

We usually throw some hay down in their run to give them something to do when they are bored, They dig holes everywhere for bugs and to take dust baths in but when we fill it back in with hay they seem happy they have something to search through again haha

I agree with Northern nurse!

There is a "got sand you should" thread that is good.

Be advised some have complained that it can hardpan on you and need removal under certain conditions or if wet/rainy all the time. If kept dry and sifted with kitty litter scoop it can be wonderful. You can achieve poop-free status.

I use it in my coop and nestboxes and love it. I don't use it outside except in spots.

If it were me I would use sand. You could trial it in a small area first and see if you are pleased.

Do wear an N95 mask when sifting sand as it is bad to breathe.

Grass cliippings, straw, leaves, pine shaving, dirt and yesterday I added several sod pieces from an area in our daughter's yard being leveled for a swingset. Our run is covered.

Back
Top Bottom