Run "flooring" for MN coop

Whigru

Songster
May 7, 2020
Minnesota
Hello Everyone,
We have a backyard coop and run and are located in MN. We don't have the run fully covered yet but will be putting some roofing over it within the next couple weeks. My question is related to the floor of the run. The coop/run are in our yard so the grass has been turned to dirt/mud since the chickens took residence there, which I'm fine with. However, as I muck it out quite often, I'm finding that the dirt ground is getting low because I'm removing some with the other stuff that I take out when I clean. I was thinking of getting some more dirt to fill it in but wondered what the experts thought of what is best? I usually lay down some straw as well just to give it another layer (and the chickens like to kick it around) but have heard some people use sand (which I'd rather not do if I can avoid it), wood chips, etc. Any thoughts on the best material for filling in the run ground? Ideally it would be something that can sustain wind, rain, heat, and lots of snow... :)
Thanks!

I use free wood chips that I get from local Highway departments. They collect branches curbside and run them through shippers or shredders then leave huge piles out for the public to take for free. I don't remove anything from my run. I just keep adding more wood chips.
Great idea, I’ll look into that, thanks!

Ditto the wood chippings!
My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
full

full

My run is not covered with a solid roof, so I have to shovel part of it out.
Seems silly but helps for access to knock snow off mesh roof if needed, gives the birds a place to walk around(they don't like deep snow much), and speeds ground clearing during snow melt season.
full

Our city has a local yard waste site. So I grab a few gallon buckets of whatever I find there about 1x a month. Grass clippings, pine needles, leaves. Also I toss weeds in the run, from when I weed my garden. Try to keep it a inch or so deep. Helps keep the mud down. And it gives them something fun to pick through. I lightly rake it every few days so any poop works to the bottom. Seems to keep the flies down.

I will just let it continue to compost break down right in the run. Come spring I will work it into my garden. I got the idea after i read about someone who did something similar but used what she mucked out from the coop, into the run, to compost further.

Back
Top Bottom