1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Run Height

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by saloli, Oct 10, 2011.

1. saloli

saloli New Egg

Mar 22, 2011
    I am wondering about height of a run for standard size hens. I am thinking about building a run either 3 or 4 feet tall that would be about 200 sq feet for room for plenty of hens. I figure i can put a small access door to get to food and water. Does anyone have any suggestions for whether a man height run is better or short is ok? What other things should go in a run, do they need perches? Does anyone have any definite do's and do nots on run height? [​IMG] I would put a top on it of course for protection things.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  2. AngelaClassAct

AngelaClassAct Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    Is your coop a tractor that you can move around? If not, I think you're going to want a run that is going to allow you to get in there with tools to clean and whatnot. They like to perch, so allowing them a space to get up off the ground is good. And, a word of advice, build bigger than you think, if you can. As far as square footage is concerned. I usually never feels like enough!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  3. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Quote:Yes you definitely want to be able to stand in there, for lots of reasons. Once they hypnotize you and get you to their way of thinkin', you'll be bringing them coffee in the morning and wanting a chair to bring with.

Also, racoons, foxes, coyotes and neighborhood dogs will work together to get your chickens into a corner where one can stalk and another can grab through the wire. I think that thinking like a predator will help you design the safest setting for your birds. Short runs are easy to climb atop of and reach down into, if the chickens' head is right there within reach. If you have to do it short, maybe peaked roofline?

Most people say, "I wish I had done it bigger", so maybe thinking it through the first time might save a re-do later?

4. AV Brahmas

AV Brahmas Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    The Great White North
    Ummm....at 3 feet even a brahma with one wing could fly out. 4 feet not much better.

I like 6 foot sides minimimum. I make the run a bit smaller than a standard size in game bird netting. I throw this over the top and use boards with old frisbees nailed to the top to hold up the centers. No hawks, no rubbed heads, and it's cheap....or cheep.

I also like to put a perch made from a sawhorse in the pen that can be moved around as needed. Usually on the south side of a building for winter in the sun.

A door you can walk thru with a trap door you can let then have freedom thru. This way the big door is closed and if the next door neighbors chicken murderer gets loose your birds can get away thru the small door.

Just some ideas....

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Mine is 6' high. I wanted it tall enough that I could go in there without bending over or having to crawl around in case I had to get a sick, injured or dead one out.

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Make sure its higher than a dog can jump on to....

7. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Six feet high at least. As stated above,you need to be able to walk upright to work in the run or catch the girls.

8. happyhens120

happyhens120 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Central PA
    Quote:Do you have any pictures you can post of this? I'm getting ready to build a permanent run, also, and I can't quite picture yours. Sounds very cool! [​IMG]

9. reksat

reksat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    western,MD
    6ft should be sufficient. with my 8 RIR they have yet come close to getting out ,plus it gives head room if its covered.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by