Run help!! What do you put on the run floor?? And: paint or no paint?

keeko

Songster
10 Years
Dec 22, 2009
Asheville, NC
Hey everyone!

We've started construction on the run and are completely making it up as we go along. Neither of us have any carpentry skills, so we joke that we're working with big legos. My two big questions with the run:

#1: Can I paint it, and does it matter if i paint the bottom? I know chickens peck at everything, but the paint is low-VOC and probably safer than the chemicals used to pressure treat the lumber.

#2: What is the recommended material to put down on the floor of the run?? Sand? Mulch? What works best, and what do YOU use??

Thanks guys!
Kristina

On the floor of my COOP I have a cheap piece of vinyl flooring. In my runs, I use sand bought in bulk from a local stone/rock/masonry place....it helps the runs to drain and easy to rake out/clean

Just my opinions....

Scott

I have vinyl with pine shaving over it on the floor of the coop and REALLY want sand in the run, but right now it's mostly mud. They freerange so don't have to wade around in the mud all day, but sand is going in sometime this summer so they won't track all that mud into the coop and nest boxes.

The 'run' is typically the chicken's outdoor area, so wouldn't generally have a 'floor' per se. Most people put sand down in the runs for good drainage and ease of maintenance.

Hey everyone!

Thanks for your input so far! I guess I should clarify on my questions...I know the run is the outdoor space, we're currently building it. I use the word "floor" loosely because I'm not sure what else to call it! I know the chickens will peck and kill what grass, shoots and weeds are on the ground, and I wanted to cover the ground with something easier to clean that will also provide proper drainage. Sounds like sand is the best thing to use!

My follow up question is: Is there any particular type of sand? Would children's sandbox sand work? Or do I need something with a larger grain?

Also, as for Question #1, what I mean by the bottom of the run are the pressure treated wood beams I have lining the bottom frame of the run. The reason I ask is because I've seen some runs (on BYC) that are entirely painted, and some where the chicken-height wood isn't painted. I'm just wondering if this is because it's not worth painting it because it's at ground level, or because of a safety concern for the hens.

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks guys!

See 'fixing a muddy run' page, link in .sig below, for discussion of what if anything to put in the run.

There is no problem with painting wood around chickens (you're talking about the run's framing, yes, it's not going to have an actual wood floor or anything like that, is it?) -- they don't peck at paint unless it is loose and peeling in which case you should do something about the peeling paint ANYway
smile.png

Good lcuk, have fun

Pat

our coop has a cut bit of old rubber roofing down first and then pine shavings over it. the coops was built in a scramble because the chicks got huge fast lol. next coop and when we have time with this one it will be painted and then either the rubber or a plastic flooring.

our run is dirt, it also drains very well but that is because of its location. other wise it would be plain old cheap kids play sand. I have even heard of some people using builders sand, but thats only when knowing the exact comp of the sand. it was pretty much dirty play sand with pebbles in it.

Back
Top Bottom