Run ideas???

Ericajulie

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2018
i am getting a run for my girls and am building a new coop inside. My girls are used to being free range in the yard but they keep digging up everything and jumping over the fences which isn’t good cause i live on a main road and surrounded by dogs.
Is there anything i can put in it to keep them entertained?

Make the run as big as possible. Things to get up on or under are good additions. Things like logs, tables, chairs, perches, pallets leaning against a wall. An area to dig in dry dirt will be necessary, or some type of dust bath. I would encourage you to do some type of deep litter where you add organic matter that keeps the soil sweet and soft.

Putting large branches that arches over the ground is something my banties and layer teens love. You can also try hanging treats from the ceiling, get them to look up and jump for their food, or you can make several hay or leaf piles and hide treats within. You can also try growing fodder and giving it to them on occasion.... I really don't know, my teens are stuck in the coop until I let them out and then they go running and jumping in the yard lol it's quite a sight

Tons of stuff and idea to keep your ladies occupied, they'll get bored of them faster than anyone likes to admit so it will be a constant rotation. Multiple perches gives them the ability to find their 'own' spot when roosting in your run. Chopped Straw, this stuff literally keeps my flock scratching and pecking for hours on end and its also great additive for your run/coop as barrier layer. Veggies frozen in ice cubes is another good one, makes them work for their treats. Another great idea since they are used to free ranging, get some plastique bins and grow some rolled oat platters that you can put in for a few hours at a time so they can nibble fresh grass. Great thing about this is rolled oats are cheap as are the planters and you should do several so you can keep a steady rotation up. Good luck. =)

Cattle Panels. Yep, cheap and cheerful! Easy to build, easily expandable, easy to cover in winter, will hold branches suspended between the sides with ease, and, with a little added lattice fencing or something in front of it, very attractive. For an idea how mine went up, click on My Coop under my ravishingly gorgeous avatar and scroll down. The run, how it was built, how we winterized it, and how we expanded it are right there!

Cattle Panels. Yep, cheap and cheerful! Easy to build, easily expandable, easy to cover in winter, will hold branches suspended between the sides with ease, and, with a little added lattice fencing or something in front of it, very attractive. For an idea how mine went up, click on My Coop under my ravishingly gorgeous avatar and scroll down. The run, how it was built, how we winterized it, and how we expanded it are right there!
You do have a lovely avatar and a lovely run. :)

Back
Top Bottom