Run is foul

csaws

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 5, 2009
Indiana
Our run stinks like no other when it gets wet. What can we do to get the smell to go away?

Also on a side note has anyone ever planted rye or some other vegetation in the run to keep the girls happy when they have to be locked up? We have even considered one of the throw and go deer or wildlife forage mixes.

Don't really understand the question but right now it is chickens, waterer and mud

Put something down to dry it out more. I use pine straw. If your trying to get something to grow get something that grows fast cause the moment your seed sprouts the chickens will eat it. Which isn't bad cause sprouted grain is good for them.

Adding organic material will just make things worse.
Build it up with sand so it can drain and dry out.

It's usually a waste of time to plant anything in a run unless it's huge in relation to the number of birds

Last edited:
I have the same problem with my dirt run...even though I try to rake and sweep it, it stinks when it gets wet. I have done a lot of research on this, and based on what I've read, I've decided to use sand. I can't speak about my personal experience with it, but many people recommend it in a run. Once this monsoon ends, I'm heading to the home improvement store!

I use sand and love it. It drains well, they dig around in it looking for bugs and there's virtually no smell. I added a couple grazing frames to give them some grass and clover. The set up works well for us--we are "outlaw" chicken keepers, the run is right next to our house--no complaints from neighbors! There is a small section that is pine straw. I like the way it looks, all fluffy and everything, but as pine straw is "mulch", the ground in that area stays pretty damp.

c2chicks - your yard is soo cute
bow.gif

csaws - we have sand on concrete in our covered run and love it. I betting in a uncovered run you'd need to build it up pretty thick. We used my husband's truck to bring home a scoop of sand, more economical then buying bags at home depot.

Back
Top Bottom