Run materials

Hodgeshens01

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2020
East Tennessee, USA
So I am starting my coop and run build this weekend and curious as to what type of materials I could use for the floor of the run. I have considered sand so that is will have good drainage and cut back on any mud the run will be roofed.

What kind of soil do you have now? Is it clay which is impervious and doesn't drain or is it sand that drains really well? Most of us have something in between. Does water drain away from it now or does water drain to it and stand? How big will the run be, in feet.

If it is on sand, it's probably not a big issue. If water drains away from it you are in good shape but will have some issues on clay. In a low spot with clay it gets harder. If you are in a soil that holds water and are in a low spot, or if you dig a hole in that and fill it with sand, it won't drain. The water has no place to go.

I'll include this link now. It has a lot of good ideas in it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-to-fix-a-muddy-run-chicken-coop.47807/

Putting a roof over it can help, but rain still blows in from the side. My run is on a high spot so it drains reasonably well but it is dirt. It is covered. When the weather sets in wet it still gets really muddy. I've poured pea gravel in strategic spots to build it up so I can feed and water out there but mostly live with it. The chickens have drier spots to go.

Some people spread bedding on something like that. we all have our favorite bedding. In some circumstances some are better than others but many can be made to work. Some people can just add bedding and leave it. Others may need to remove it and replace it as it gets soaked.

If your area is low and holds water, you may have to work a lot harder, especially if you don't fix it as you build it. Read Pat's article, it can really help. If your area isn't too big and there is a nearby lower spot water can drain to, digging a trench between your run and that spot and filling it with sand or gravel can move a lot of water. When I built my coop I hauled in dirt and raised the floor a few inches so it is higher than the surrounding area, but rain does not blow in from the sides in my coop. Still, it can help with a run.

Without knowing your situation it's hard to get too specific. You may be OK with natural dirt, but probably not. Sand may work great or may be a bad choice. Some people make walkways by laying pallets or something in there so they can stay above the mud. Some people use bedding: wood shavings, wood chips, hay, straw, dried leaves, who knows what. Some people turn their run (or coop) into a compost pile, tossing in dried leaves, grass trimmings, various bedding, kitchen wastes, and garden wastes. Some people use sand and scoop the poop every day, like a cat litter box. That doesn't help mud but can make it nicer to work in there.

There is not just one way to go about this, you have all kinds of options. We are all unique, something that works for me might not work for you. Good luck and welcome to the adventure.

Thanks y’all and I have a mixed soil up on a hill so drainage is good just looking to cut back on the mud and use a bedding that won’t mess with the drainage and I suppose my main question is weather or not the sand would be harmful or create any problems I may not be thinking of

It doesn't matter if it is sand or something else, but chickens poop wherever they are. If you have chickens in a small area that poop can build up. If the poop builds up enough it can stay wet and stink when it rains. That's why turning the run into a compost pile can work for some people, that poop gets broken down fast enough to keep it from building up. But a lot of that has to do with chicken density. And a lot has to do with how wet it is.

If you have sand that drains, it stays pretty dry so wet isn't that much of a problem. But the poop can possibly still build up eventually, depending on chicken density, so you may need to remove and replace the sand at some point. May, not necessarily will. Your nose will tell you. Some people that use sand regularly scoop poop out of it like kitty litter to keep the poop from building up. Usually these are people with pretty small runs.

Organic matter can help the poop break down faster (compost) as it is a brown to the poop's green. But it also holds moisture. That's one of the benefits in using this type of bedding as mulch in a garden or landscaping bed. In addition to weed suppression it retains moisture so you don't have to water as often. As long as you can keep it from retaining too much moisture it works well. The chickens scratching in it and turning it for you helps keep it aired out.

Many people aren't worried about it composting. They just want a surface over the dirt so mud isn't a problem. As long as it doesn't stay too wet mulch works great. If it stays too wet it may need to be replaced.

There is no one answer that works for all of us. Since you are where it drains pretty well any of them has a real good chance to work. Since you are on a hill you may need a barrier along the bottom to keep sand or mulch from washing out.

Thanks y’all and I have a mixed soil up on a hill so drainage is good just looking to cut back on the mud and use a bedding that won’t mess with the drainage and I suppose my main question is weather or not the sand would be harmful or create any problems I may not be thinking of
How steep is the hill?
Pics might help here.
Drainage is good but sloped ground can make all the bedding migrate, or wash, down hill.

Back
Top Bottom