Run Mixture Recommedations

bangarain

Songster
8 Years
Mar 23, 2015
Vermont
Hello! We're in the process of building our coop (due to some setbacks/weather it's taken slightly longer than planned). While we're thinking about doing the DLM for the coop itself, I was trying to decide what to do for the run. It's rather large - I can't remember the exact measurements - but they'll also be let out for at least an hour during the day with supervision. I wish we could free range, but we have an excessive amount of predators - cats next door, hawks that live nearby, and what we believe to be a mated pair of weasels in the wooded portion of our back pasture. (Yikes).

Doing some research on here, I think I've decided on a mix of sand, soil, DE, and PDZ (hopefully that sounds good?)- but to be entirely honest, apart from that mixture, I'm not quite positive about the details.

I've read to stay away from 'manmade' sand because of silica, which of course we'll do - are there any particular 'brands' of sand you recommend? What to stay away from? I know not to go too fine, but how large is alright?

What kind of soil? Is there any that's dangerous that I should know of?

And last off, how do you mix/what are good amounts for each? Is it a layered thing, or is it all thoroughly mixed together?

Anything else important?

If it helps, I live in the Southeastern US. Their run is 95% covered, with maybe a 2 foot bit for sunbathing. :) Their coop is also raised a few feet off the ground and they can get underneath, so I have to keep in mind cleaning for that bit. (can't recall the measurements entirely, my mom would know, though)

Wanna get it right for my girls. :)

We're going to let them graze the grass down for a bit but still need to figure this out...sorry to bump but I haven't found all of the answers anywhere else

I have found it best, my opinion, to do a deep litter in the run also.

I started with 12 + inches of free wood chips.

I did not have to do anything for 2 years, then just added more carbons, such as free leaves, and some more wood chips.

The nitrogen in the manure helps feed the microbes breaking down the carbons.

No smell, mud, or flies, just great compost for the gardens.

Back
Top Bottom