Run out of chick feed - help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lorelei14, May 14, 2009.

1. lorelei14

lorelei14 New Egg

May 9, 2009
    I need a bit of help - we have run out of chick crumbs & our order of a new bag hasn't arrived in time. I only have a few chicks so not too many mouths to feed, but don't want them going hungry today.

Is there anything I can feed them as a temporary measure? They are about 3 weeks old & otherwise very healthy.

Thanks!

2. sunnibunny99

sunnibunny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    East Texas! :)
    Green stuff!

My chicks go crazy for.... Spinach, Kale.... Lettuce.... Anything really!

I fed them greens when they were a couple of weeks old.... And now the're two months and they are happy and healthy!

I also feed them clover from time to time.... They like seeds too!

Hope this helps [​IMG]

3. Blisskat

Blisskat Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2009
    I've seen other people post that they feed their chicks cooked oatmeal (cooled), yogurt, and scrambled eggs. This is probably treat food, but might work for one day?

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  5. Polish Chickens

Polish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    Try Scrambled Eggs for them to eat since they will love it

6. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    I've heard of whipping up a cornbread (cornmeal, eggs, molasses) and baking it for the chickens, but I don't have a recipe.

7. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I feed mine cornbread, tomatoes, lettuce, bananas, boiled eggs, yogurt, fruit, watermelon, grits, rice, bread crumbs, or anything else I have lying around.

You can let them out digging for bugs. My kids find that loads of fun. Go out and turn over old logs, scratch thru the brush, and your chicks will be in bug heaven.

Also, you proabably have a local store or local feed store you could get some food from until yours arrives.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by