Run Question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lisamayc, Jan 15, 2010.

1. lisamayc

lisamayc Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2010
    I'm getting ready to build a chicken run. My origianl plan was to create an L- shape run using 2 of the coop walls. The possitve for this plan is the back side of the coop would create a good amount of shade in the summer time in the afternoon. Now I'm wondering if making a long rectangular run of the side of the coop would be better. I have about 50 ft of fencing materail to use and I want to maximize it's use. Which is better in your opinion - long and narrow or L [​IMG]

2. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    Don't know where you are, but if it gets hot there, then the shade would be a great idea, and using coop walls would maximize your fence length. I say go for it!

[​IMG] Glad you're here. BYC is full of smart thinkers like you! (sometimes even I can think straight. You can tell because they haven't kicked me off the site yet![​IMG])

3. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    I would suggest using the coop walls and go for the shade. i did that and am glad I did. It also helps provide some protection against the wind at times.

4. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    [​IMG] from Alaska

Thanks for joining us.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Just about any time you can use walls to stretch your fencing materials, it's a good thing. I used a lot of garage wall space for my run, but I goofed a bit. A lot of winter time sun is blocked... [​IMG] So do weigh everything. Summer and winter sun, where do your main winds come from, water drainage, etc. Good luck!

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    shade is always good... especially in AZ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by