Run: roof or no roof

A BYCer suggested using a clear plastic shower curtain as a cover for a coop sidewall. I plan to use that idea with my enclosed coop so the rain stays out of the coop run but I can still see through it and the sun can still shine through it in winter. You can't see through tarps and most of the time they are so thin and flimsy they tear easily in the wind. JoAnn's Fabrics also sells thick clear plastic rolls in very wide width if you find that the shower curtain is too small.

I still say a solid roof is best but for those that don't/can't do a roof, plastic sheeting is really great to use on the top and sides (leaving some ventilation of course). I live in Iowa (more than enough snow and wind in the winter and plenty of rain in the spring and fall) and that's what I do on mine. I completely wrap the coop and run in winter then cut out the "people door" into the coop so I can get in lol then I poke a ton of nickel sized holes near the top of the run plastic for ventilation, works fantastic. I take the plastic sheeting off in the spring/summer/fall of the "roof" and replace it whenever it's going to rain but it stays on permanently in winter. (oh and in case it wasn't clear, I take the wrapping off the run and coop in the spring, I just use the plastic on the roof when it's raining in spring summer fall), I hope that made sense, I'm tired lol

My run space has both covered and uncovered areas. The covered areas stay's mostly dry in the rain, in the winter I will be adding plastic sheeting to prevent the snow getting in there... The uncovered areas are of course muddy at times.
I think there are pros and cons to both, and I like having both...

Back
Top Bottom